DECORATING NEW PLASTER: A DIFINITIVE ANSWER PLEASE!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have heard many differed ways of doing this but I want to do it property.

I have just had a bedroom walls and ceiling reskimmed and therefore, I need to repaint the whole room.

My plan is to wait until the plaster is totally dry and then to apply a coat of Alkali Resistant Primer to the walls and ceiling. Then apply 2-3 coats of emulsion.

The plasterer has done a great job and the walls are as smooth as a baby's bum. Would it be better if I keyed it with some sandpaper first to help the primer adhere?

Does this sound ok to you guys or am I about to make a costly mistake?

Thanks, Matt

Sponsored Links
Try searching there are loads of posts on this.

Why bother with a costly alkali resistant primer when you can simply mist coat the walls, as suggested in the loads of other posts on this subject?

Youi wont need A.R.P. unless you intend to paint the walls with oil based eggshell

Its expensive, it stinks and its not needed

Just mist them, fill where needed, rub them down, thin the next twos coats by 10-15% paint lightly rubbing down between each one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back