1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Decorating questions new build (4 years old )

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by howy1, 11 Feb 2020.

1. howy1

howy1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all , I have been in a new build house for four years the walls are white emulsion and I would just like to fresh them up , can I just emulsion straight onto walls without any type of prep work ? the other question is regarding a few hairline cracks mainly over windows where there seems to have been infills of plasterboard cut ie above bathroom and toilet windows , I doubt if the cracks are 1 mm wide but you can see them what are the best products for filling please .
    regards
    Howy .

2. Sponsored Links
  3. howy1

howy1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    oh well DIY NOT LOL

4. plastic_peanut

plastic_peanut

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yep, it’s a strange old forum this. Some threads get attention and others ( namely mine) don’t.

Yes, I would paint straight on but you could use a sugar soap solution to clean the surface.

Would then look at a flexible filler or caulk depending on the severity of the cracks. Let it dry, use a sanding block and then paint

5. RoscoM

RoscoM

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Unless there's been anything untoward on the walls that would need a stain blocker etc, just give them a wipe down and paint straight over.

If the small cracks are in corners I normally use caulk and filler if they are on a flat surface.

6. howy1

howy1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thank you Ross and pp , can you recommend a caulk and filler please , sorry to be detailed .
    Yes will wash with sugar soap .
    Regards
    Howy

7. Sponsored Links
  8. RoscoM

RoscoM

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I normally use gyproc easyfill and whatever caulk is on offer next to the counter at screwfix!

9. opps

opps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Don't use caulk over plasterboard cracks. It will leave a ridge unless you wipe it back so much that that you end up wiping it away.

Try PVA wood glue and a soft filler once the glue has dried. The cracks may reappear though. If they do post back.

It is fine to paint directly over sound/clean emulsion with emulsion.

• Like Like x 1
  10. howy1

howy1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks opps , that sounds a good idea for fine cracks like mine as the walls are not plastered just emulsioned over plasterboard , are the ready mixed soft fillers ok .
    Howy

11. opps

opps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'd recommend the use of the lightweight soft fillers (as mentioned Redlite or RedDevil). They feel more like a very fine polystyrene as apposed to a rigid cement/plaster like filler and are slightly more flexible.

Sponsored Links