Decorating questions new build (4 years old )

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all , I have been in a new build house for four years the walls are white emulsion and I would just like to fresh them up , can I just emulsion straight onto walls without any type of prep work ? the other question is regarding a few hairline cracks mainly over windows where there seems to have been infills of plasterboard cut ie above bathroom and toilet windows , I doubt if the cracks are 1 mm wide but you can see them what are the best products for filling please .
regards
Howy .

Sponsored Links
Yep, it’s a strange old forum this. Some threads get attention and others ( namely mine) don’t.

Yes, I would paint straight on but you could use a sugar soap solution to clean the surface.

Would then look at a flexible filler or caulk depending on the severity of the cracks. Let it dry, use a sanding block and then paint

Unless there's been anything untoward on the walls that would need a stain blocker etc, just give them a wipe down and paint straight over.

If the small cracks are in corners I normally use caulk and filler if they are on a flat surface.

Sponsored Links
Thank you Ross and pp , can you recommend a caulk and filler please , sorry to be detailed .
Yes will wash with sugar soap .
Regards
Howy

Don't use caulk over plasterboard cracks. It will leave a ridge unless you wipe it back so much that that you end up wiping it away.

Try PVA wood glue and a soft filler once the glue has dried. The cracks may reappear though. If they do post back.

It is fine to paint directly over sound/clean emulsion with emulsion.

Thanks opps , that sounds a good idea for fine cracks like mine as the walls are not plastered just emulsioned over plasterboard , are the ready mixed soft fillers ok .
Howy

I'd recommend the use of the lightweight soft fillers (as mentioned Redlite or RedDevil). They feel more like a very fine polystyrene as apposed to a rigid cement/plaster like filler and are slightly more flexible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back