Decorative Gravel...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, first post ever, please excuse me if this topic's been done to death..!

I'm planning on putting some decorative gravel down in our garden, but I'm unsure how much of the stuff to order, is there a reliable formula for this kind of thing? I'm looking to cover approx 20 sq m..?

thanks!

Sponsored Links
quite simple, you mostly buy this by the cubic meter, you know the area you wish to cover, multiply this by the depth 10 cm would be .10 and this will tell you how many cubic meters of material.

Hope you haven't got any cats your way, they love to cr*p in gravel!

Typically 1 tonne will cover 15 sq metres at about 2" depth. Personally I would look at using 1 tonne for 12 sq metres in future to give a bit more depth since 2" is a bit thin (we have dogs!!!!).

Don't buy the gravel from gardening shops - speak to builders merchants and you will fnd it cheaper! e.g. 1 tonne of cotwold green cost me £80 delivered from my builders merchant (inc vat), but from the gardening centres the cheapest started at £95 plus delivery.

Sponsored Links
i have 4 1/2 tonne doesnt cover 15 sqM just ordered another, suppose depnds how even garden is

idealy you should have a "border" to stop the gravel from "escaping / getting kickedevery where else"

lay a membrane down (stops weeds etc) then gravel away

I'm having a similar problem.. how much gravel would I need in a 5metre by 3 metre plot...

Also in a bog standard garden with a small lawn and bit of decking next to a glass conservatory, would it look tacky to use coloured gravel?

Want to make the garden a bit vibrant.. thinking maybe a reddy colour

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back