Gravel size/thickness for foot traffic only?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone got any advice on this? Our local quarry sells(round) gravel in 20mm diameter and also a size of 10-14mm. We need to cover about 130 sq m.
I was planning to put it in at 75mm thick- is this too thin/about right/too thick?At this thickness I reckon at least 20 tonnes is needed(looking forward to spreading that.... :eek:
Our dog likes digging so much as I prefer the look of the smaller stuff the 20mm would probably be more robust and not leave footprints etc?

Any advice appreciated!:cool:

Sponsored Links
You'll get footprints. Round gravel slides over itself since it is smooth. Chippings would be a better bet.

Cheers for that...unfortunately where we live the angular chippings are all from the red granite of the Cairngorms, the colour neither of us want! The grey gravel is from the vicinity of the river Spey on the other side of the valley (most likely why it's rounded!) and would look better with the larch cladding and the drystone wall I've built. Also looking for something easier on the bare feet should I want to walk on it off of the decked area I'm putting in. Suppose the footprints may be bearable and would need an occasional rake over, but I think any weeds would also pull out far easier from rounded gravel. We are putting a membrane fabric below this as we need to stop the stones/gravel from the glacial till the house is built on "migrating" up and through the gravel. A neighbour put down about 8 tonnes of the pink angular stuff around his house 2 months after moving in, the next summer it was all riddled with yellowy pebbles/stones of all sizes that had pushed up out of the ground and come through!! :mad:
Might just opt for the smaller stuff...easier on the feet definitely....!

Sponsored Links
I disagree about round pebbles moving around more as opposed to cut stone. I have done a few drives in round granite pebble rather than cut and its fine. The depth is the main factor most people lay it far too thick.

For 20mm stone the max depth i'd recommend is 60mm any more and you'll be wading through it. 10mm stone you could go down to 50mm deep

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back