Decorator needed for external painting - what should I ask?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Looking for a painter/decorator to paint the outside of the house.

What kind of questions should I ask. Also, is their a reputable association where I can get a professional ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The best way to get a good decorator is through recommendation and seeing their work for yourself before contacting them.

Being a member of an association does offer customers some assurance but they are not strictly regulated, like gasfitters for example. I'm not a member of any organisation, but have often had to tidy up work done by decorators who are. That's not to say all the members do poor work of course, but there are some that do.

If you insist on getting a decorator who is a member of one, then try to get them from a non-profit organisation and not someone who is likely to try and sell you the product of the association they are affiliated with.

Questions you should be asking include:

Are they qualified? (Not essential, but recommended.)
Can they provide references and examples of their work?
Do they have public liability insurance?
Is the work guaranteed, and for how long?
What products will they be using? (If they supply materials.)
Can you have a fixed quote in writing?
How do they expect to be paid? (On completion is usual and cash up front a no-no!)

There are lots of things to ask really, but these are the basics which I hope help you. ;)

pity you werent closer id have come round a had look and give you a quote ask who does your neighbours see if they know any one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back