Decorators used different brand of paint ?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Decorator Types

We've just had our hall and stairs painted by some professional decs - they supplied the materials

We specified Dulux colours and were expecting them to use Dulux paint. They used Johnstones Coverplus instead

Not really got a problem with the brand BUT the colours seem to have come out different to the Dulux samples we had painted onto some cardboard.

Would you expect Johnstones to match up exactly ?

Is it cheaper for them to use that instead of Dulux ?

Is it just because we had painted our samples on card and it comes up on walls differently ?

Is it something you guys would have done ?

The wife is mighty annoyed !

Cheers

Steve

Sponsored Links
Paint your sample on the wall. If you can see it - then it's wrong. Get them back and make them do it all again using the paint they agreed to use (Dulux) rather than the half-the-price Johnstones.

First. If the colour is a B.S number, then it should be the same as Dulux.
If not, it's unlikely to be the same.

Next, if you get them to use Dulux, there's no guarantee that it'll be the same as the colour on the card.

Colours cause more aggro than anything.

Also, women and colours don't mix :confused:

Sponsored Links
Unless these are a B.S colour (no card with me).. it beats me how it can be mixed in another paint successfully.

Do what Joe said.

hmmm - next question - should we cancel the cheque we just paid with ? Or should we trust them to come back and fix it :confused:

and to be honest - we won't know how 'different' they are until we stick some Dulux on the walls

Stop the payment - that keeps you in control.

Only stop payment if it was an agreed specification for them to use Dulux branded paint. If however the colour was "chosen" from a dulux chart and then copied this is often practiced.

You really should have brought up the problem with them as soon as you saw they where using Johnstones rather than Dulux.

It's also a little bit foolish to use tester pots on card rather than the wals...

If the quote says they would use Dulux paint I would ring the decorators up explain you're upset and tell them you're thinking about cancelling payment.

You really should have brought up the problem with them as soon as you saw they where using Johnstones rather than Dulux.

i agree with you as a painter we always use the paint the customer wants apart from if they say to use "crown,homebase or any cheap diy paint" we wont use it because the coverage is totally crap! if its just white and magnolia in a mat finish we use matchmaker << its a god to us painters best covering paint ever!!

we usually always use dulux as its a much better finish than paints like crown its verry wattery and has like no pigment due to needing more coats than expected to get the right finish.

It's also a little bit foolish to use tester pots on card rather than the wals...

If the quote says they would use Dulux paint I would ring the decorators up explain you're upset and tell them you're thinking about cancelling payment.

Hope you get things sorted

BTW it might be illegal to cancel cheques in that way. A cheque is a promissory note.

By giving it to them you promised to pay them the sum stated. There is no provision on the cheque to introduce conditions.

By the same token you couldn't walk into their office and take your money out of the cash box, even if they owed it to you.

Mind you, I doubt they would sue because you canceled a cheque, but you never know...

The Johnstones would have cost them about 40% less in material costs. If the paint was an exclusive dulux colour then it sounds like it was scanned and the nearest match in the Johnstones range used.

If that is the case then then they cannot be the same colour, they might be close. It is unlikely that the paint shop would have used the more expensive Dulux tints (in a Johnstonnes base) and the base colours would be slightly different anyway.

People buy johnstones because it is cheaper and paint shops push it because the mark up is greater. Dulux trade is generally better quality and they have much higher overheads, in part because of advertising.

Do as the others have suggested and apply a sample. if they are very different then demand a repaint or discount.

If you get as far as court a Judge will wonder why you waited until the job was finished before doing anything

UPDATE:

1) We didn't realise they were using Johnstones until after they had finished and left - (they left the leftovers for us to patch after we remove stairgates)

2) We've bought the Dulux match pots and put them on the walls - there is a difference - and we are not happy

3) We didn't cancel the cheque

4) Looks like I'm going to have an interesting conversation on Monday !

5) Anyone want to give odds on them coming back and sorting it out ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back