Decoupling mat needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

My customer is going to have his hallway floor tiled with small diagonally orientated square porcelain tiles.

The base is floorboards with 6 or 9mm ply over the top.

The tiler started laying them last week end but didn't leave any grout lines so the customer came in on Monday and lifted them back up (and cleaned them).

The client is happy to let the tiler have a second go but I have some concerns- the tiler didn't use SBR etc on the ply. I am wondering if the floor needs a decoupling mat or not.

I appreciate that the response might be to find a new tiler. I have seen other work that he, the tiler, has done and considered it to be OK. The customer, a mate of mine cannot move in until the floor is done.

Here is an image of the layout (not showing grout lines though).

IMG_0197.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, to clarify, are you saying that a decoupling matt is needed? I have sent the customer a link to this thread. The more info that you can provide, hopefully the fewer problems further down the line.

Sponsored Links
Overboard with T+G floor panels or at least 12mm WBP ply fixed at 300mm centers.

The ply must be SBRed on the reverse and sides before laying and have an expansion gap thats filled to stop the flexible thinset penetrating. You can then do a few simple tests to see if the prep is suitable.

All tile jobs look good until they fail early, for the sake of a few £'s in basic prep.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back