Deep footings for self-build garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning permission has been granted for my 42m2 detached garage and I want to do the project myself.

The footings are 2.4m x .500m and the ground is heavy clay.

Can anyone advise me of what size digger I will need as I know a mini digger is too small. Also, can you think of pitfalls I should be aware of apart from the usual services and tree roots.

I dug a 6ft deep test hole close to the site to see what the ground was like as far as the mini-digger would go. Lovely clay.

I will employ a skilled digger driver.

Would the concrete be best delivered ready mixed or have one of those lorries that mix on site?

Sponsored Links
A 5 ton machine is good enough to pull the footings. Ready mix delivered is the best way to go back wagon up to hole and just pour. If you mix on site you will have to barrow it in. :)

Sponsored Links
While ready mix is often the easiest and quickest way to pour concrete be aware that there are heavy financial implications if you go over your alloted time with the lorry on site and if there is any concrete left over for example 0.25cbm then you can be charged anything from £120 - £180 for the driver/company to take this away again

unless u can find another use for the spare concrete,

if you dig off the oversite at the same time as digging the foundation trench then any spare concrete can be spread on this part of the job and will cut down on the need for h/c stone and give you something to work on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back