Deep Holes in Pointing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just started removing the mortar from quite a large area of brick wall due to the fact it was quite powdery. The Mortar rake on the grinder went through it like butter. However, when I went to remove mortar from the verticals it was so bad that, without effort it went clean through to the void at the rear of the bricks. What’s the best way of dealing with this? I'm considering using hydrated lime in the mix rather that 4:1 sand, cement. Don't know if that's wise.

Sponsored Links
You just fill the joints back up. I cant see why you want to use lime

Was it lime before?
You only need to use lime instead of cement if your bricks are soft. Ours were pretty much like you say, someone had previously pointed a thin layer of cement over original lime, then painted. The water had gone behind and all the mortar had disintegrated, even bricks came out in my hand, I only had to use a weeding knife to clean the joints.
Unfortunately the bricks are made of sponge basically, so many of them had lost their faces. so all recommendations were to use lime which I did.
Draw your own conclusions, I'm not a professional!

Hi thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sure the original mortar was cement based but can't say if it had any hydrated lime content. Maybe I've done too much mortar research as I heard that lime might provide breathability and some self healing benefits. Then of course there's the Hydraulic limes, lime putty etc. In the end Limes were doing my head in anyway.

Sponsored Links
Take one cement and four sand and come back if it's not gone in a month.
doctor-smiley-emoticon.gif

To be honest unless your house is 5 storeys, anything will be fine. If you can get hold of lime it's very nice to work with and lasts well, and it's cheap. And better for the environment although only in the same way as recycling milk bottle tops is.
What I did was did some research, made a decision right or wrong and then had a go and learnt something. Now my front wall isn't collapsing any more so I'm happy(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back