Deep Tiled Bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are about to refurbish our bathroom into a new room. It used to be a box bedroom and is fairly narrow. We would like to have a shower for use 90% of the time, however it would be great to have an occasional bath too. So we do not want a narrow bath that you can shower in.

I would like to build a bath that would fit into the space, approx. 1m x 1.4m that is quite deep. These dimensions should mean that the shower has a lot of space. Does anyone know how to construct a bath with straight sides, that is tiled on the inside that is made to fit this size? I have tried researching this, but have had no luck.

We do not want to use concrete or fibreglass, rather a stud shell construction with some sort of rigid board (Wedi board perhaps) to provide a substrate for the tile.

Thanks,

T23

Sponsored Links
You are unlikely to be able to construct a bath using the materials you suggest - you have to form a rigid, load-bearing structure with absolutely no movement in any of the adjoining panels.

Taking into account that a typical bath with an average person in it could weight between 200 & 300 kilos (a third of a tonne) you are looking to build a significant bit of kit.

If you build the dimensions you suggest then I assume you will be making it a significant depth - if you went to a depth of one metre then then your total weight could exceed 1 tonne

Without a very rigid construction it will fail with disastrous consequences.

Sponsored Links
Just noticed that the OP asked much the same question in Dec 2011!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back