Defective grouting over the bath.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter has a shower fitted over the bath. Because the grouting deteriorated on about 6 of the 4x2" tiles, water has dripped down through the kitchen ceiling below. I have now removed them,and cleaned them up ready to replace them, and waiting for the wall to dry out. The thin coat of plaster was also wet, and has come away. Would it be acceptable to restick the tiles with a thicker coat of adhesive, or ought I to replace the plaster first.
It is just a strip about 16" x 2", so a bit awkward to plaster.

Sponsored Links
No need to add plaster, but remove anything that's loose, and bond what remains with dilute PVA.

Why do you think the grout failed?
Which joints failed?
Is the bath rigid?

It was the horizontal joints. The bath was fitted before she moved in,and apparently a quick job as part of a hurried refurbishment to sell the house.
The bath seems to be rigid, but I doubt if it was filled with water as it should have been before the sealant was applied.
There seemed to be black mould on the joints, and as she has 2 children they were probably not very gentle in using the bath and its overhead shower.

Thanks for your reply.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back