'Defensive' Plants

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI board!

I'd like to plant some brambles or other spikey-nasty-mean plants along a boarder for security purposes. It is a piece of ground by a carpark about .5-1m wide and maybe 10m long and is backed by a fence.

What plant can i use that will grow but not take over the whole place in 2 months flat? I don't mind doing work to keep it back.

Cheers for any help you can give me!

Sponsored Links
berberis is always a thorny favourite on ammenity landscaping for defensive planting and boy are they sharp.

Sponsored Links
If you want something quick but manageable I would suggest Dog Rose. They are established quite quickly but can be chopped back when required, possibly a gap filler whilst the other recommendations are getting established.

These all sound like great options!

Where do i go and get these sorts of plants? I've been to loads of garden centres and i can't find anything like this - am i looking in the wrong place, should they be available in garden centres?

Is there a time of year i should be looking?

Hawthorn, although it takes a while to grow so plant it close together and in depth

And I don't believe you can be charged for possesion of an offensive hedge!

have a search on the internet, or even ebay. a lot of small nurserys use that as a cheap way of selling on the net. berberis is definetly the one. i hate removing it on jobs it always seems to get its revenge at some point

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back