Define 'Rear Wall' for Planning purposes.

N

Nickam

I am looking at an extension for a client who has a mid terrace property. They have a bay window going out the back of the property and wish to add an extension. The question is, for the purposes of 'Permitted Development' should one measure the 3 metres from the main wall, or the rear of the bay window?
Cheers,
Nick

Sponsored Links
No, I mean a ground floor extension. Sorry, the word dormer should have been bay window.

With my cynical hat on I'd say the main house. I myself wouldn't be comfortable telling a client they didn't need permission and could use the bay wall instead unless a discussion with a planner reveals it is very clear cut. Otherwise I'd stick the decision firmly on the clients shoulders or recommend they get a lawful development certificate.

Sponsored Links
Yep, exactly what I was going to do. Just wondered if anyone else had got an answer. I think it's another one of those grey areas.

Not really a grey area. This thread has some more detail:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=218246
Well maybe in your opinion.

If following a discussion with the particular authority it is abundantly clear then thats great however myself, Nickam and other professionals cannot afford any doubt whatsoever as to such definitions and whatever it says on the Planning Portal it is the particular local authority that will need to be satisfied and it is they who will stick their oar in if they are unsure. Its about limiting the risk. Would you be happy to advise a client that a bay was categorically an 'addition/outrigger' and more importantly would you stake your professional reputation on it? Its fine for you to take a risk if its your own house but different when its your living. Furthermore its wholly un-professional.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back