Do I need Planning Consent for new extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi hoping someone can assist. We are proposing to build a ground floor extension at the rear of our property 2.5m deep. The back wall of the original property is flat (so extension is not a side extension with respect to the main part of the dwelling). However a previously built ground floor extension was built at the rear which was 4.3m deep and was granted Planning Consent 8 years ago.

The proposed extension as shown in the sketch will attach to both the original two storey building and the previously built extension. The proposed extension would be considered Permitted Development if built first as I understand. Does the previously built extension make any difference to Permitted Development?

Any experience or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Attachments

• sketch extension.pdf
    88.8 KB · Views: 107
Sponsored Links
You need to check the original approval. You may have had your rights removed through conditions on the original, or subsequent, planning permission. You need to find out if the permitted development rights for your house have been removed - check previous planning applications for your property on your council planning portal.

thank you for your reply. The conditions have not been removed as seen the paperwork with regards to the previous consent. Guess was just worried as this extension is attached to a previous extension which is over PD.

It looks like the total width of the two extensions will be more than half the width of the house, so will need formal permission.

Sponsored Links
thats interesting I would have thought this was a rear extension only as the first extension isnt original. many thanks

The PD guidance takes account of any existing extension that is joined to, and the combined width is the threshold.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back