Defining the term "floor area"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I was hoping someone might be able to clarify something for me.

I'm currently building a block shed and it measures 5.79mts x 4.87mts (so 19 foot x 16 foot)

This has a floor space of 28.19 metres squared

However, now that the footings are in place, for some reason, having measured again, the dimensions are now a little larger, at 6.09mts x 5.18mts

This has a floor space of 31.54 metres squared

My question is to do with the following two passages found on the planning portal site:

"Building a new attached carport* (open on at least two sides) would not normally require building regulations approval if it is less than 30 square metres in floor area."

(* It says carport but I assume my shed also has to conform to the 30 square metres in floor space)

"If the floor area of the building is between 15 square metres and 30 square metres"

Link: www.planningportal.co.uk/wales_en/info/3/common_projects/34/outbuildings/2

When they say "floor area", do they mean as measured to the outside of the walls (let's assume the building has been built), or do they mean as measured to the inside of the walls (meaning the actual floor space I'll have inside the building)?

Basically, as my shed conforms with all other building regulations, so as far as I can tell, if the shed's floor area is measured to the outside walls, then I need planning permission, but if it is measured to the inside of the walls, I won't need planning permission.

Thanks all

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Ah yes, thanks for clarifying that

Planning permission measurements are all in line with what is permitted, apart from I've gone just less than 2 centremetres over in one respect (boundary limitations). I'm almost sure that's not going to be an issue though, because initial building plans meant I was 7" over the limit, but the man who came out to view it all, approved it. But I've contacted them again nonetheless.

Building regulation measurements are ok too if measurements are to the inside of the walls.

If he was a Building Inspector (ie working under Building Control), he would just be checking the quality of work and would rarely be concerned about
measurements (unless he wanted to check something like a joist size).

If he was a Planning Officer (ie working under Planning Legislation and unlikely to make a site visit on an issue such as this) he/she probably wouldn't have known how to use a tape measure.

If he was a Building Inspector (ie working under Building Control), he would just be checking the quality of work and would rarely be concerned about
measurements (unless he wanted to check something like a joist size).

If he was a Planning Officer (ie working under Planning Legislation and unlikely to make a site visit on an issue such as this) he/she probably wouldn't have known how to use a tape measure.

.....and if he were a private building inspector he would be puzzling over your latest photograph of the job from the comfort of his office.

If I do not need any planning permission from the Planning Permission or the Building Regulators department because my shed's dimensions and placement all fall within the permitted development criteria, do I have to pay a fee?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back