Definition of covered Way

4 Aug 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi all could you help please. I was thinking of putting a storage area on the side of my house. It runs along the side from the front back to the side door, the size is approximately 7m x 2m. I was hoping to get it deemed as permitted development as a covered walkway so also not requiring building regs. See attachment of plan with covered area in lilac.

I tried googling for a definition of a covered way but could not find one that was official for the UK. I wanted to know what is the definition of a covered way? Can it be fully enclosed with a door at the front and completely covered to the side door?

Ideally I would like a uPVC unit with solid uPVC walls and something on the lines of a polycarbonate roof. It would be weatherproof with guttering and a uPVC door at the front and not heated. The plan would be to store items such as bikes lawn mower and tools etc.

I don't think it would qualify as a conservatory as the walls would be solid and unsure if it would be classes as an extension and so covered by building regs. As its close to my neighbours boundary it would be below 2.5m height.

House - Ground Floor.jpg
Sponsored Links
You can call it what you like. It's the use and construction/appearance that matters for planning and building regulations.
A covered way suggests just that - something like a walkway protected from the rain, but open at the side, such as like a carport.
But frankly, who's going to be bothered about your structure? if the neighbour complained, it wouldn't be a Planning matter, and Building Regs are highly unlikely to be concerned one way or the other.
Or why not consider calling it a conservatory - under 30 sq m they are exempt.
Thanks both. I was just looking for clarity on what the planner would define my proposal so I know what I need to include in any submissions.
Sponsored Links
It wouldn't need planning permission (unless your permitted development rights have been removed) so why bother about 'submissions'?
Just noticed you mentioned solid uPVC walls, in which case you wouldn't be able to claim it as a conservatory.
As there is a door at each end, try covered way as a possible best option, and not declare any use as storage because of the potential fire risk adjacent to the boundary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local