Definition of 'Natural Ground Level'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am planning a build in my garden, but am not sure where I should be taking the 'Natural Ground Level' measurement from?

In the pictures attached there is a large raised area at the rear of the garden (probably landscape from being one long slope 20 years ago).

I did a lot of landscaping and shifting soil a couple of years ago so now the left side is about 40cm higher than the right side - I have built a multi level deck frame.

I want to build the main building on the left side.

There was a large shed previously in this location on slabs and I have raised and lowered areas to allow me to extend this area and build the deck frame.

So, as you can see in the close up of the frame, the top level sits on a large area of soil/land (and some slabs in the corner where the old shed was), around 4m x 5m

Q1. Would this point serve as being the natural ground level?

Q2. The higher area above the pond (a closer up picture of a tree stump and a round piece of pipe) - this also makes up for the rear end of the garden, and this soil level actually sits higher (just), than the top of the deck frame - would this be considered the natural ground level?

I obviously would like the maximum flexibility for building height, so the higher the gorund level point, the better.

Thank you for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_3079.JPG
    IMG_3079.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 528
  • IMG_3080.JPG
    IMG_3080.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_3076.JPG
    IMG_3076.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_2110.JPG
    IMG_2110.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 267
Sponsored Links
Generally to take it to an extreme it's the land as it was before it was first developed, but good luck if the whole estate was cleared and rebuilt, clearly that would be ridiculous.
In reality it has to look to an expert like it was always like that. Assuming it even gets that far.
Anyway take a critical look and see what you think a trained eye would say. Then use that.

If you mess with the ground levels in your garden, the natural level can be taken from a mean line on the adjacent neighbour's side of the fence, a plane across your garden from both neighbour's ground, or a likely line from the top to the bottom of the garden taking into account the likely level based on the existing features such as the house dpc and fence posts and panels.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, taking a line form the neighbour may work - but if theirs is still a slope (which I think it is), is the highest part at the back the natural ground level, or the mean of the top to bottom of the area that matches mine?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back