Raised area for decking/patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Was wondering if some one could clear this up for me.

I am thinking of laying either a decking or patio area in my rear garden.

Bungalow property - corner plot
As i step outside the rear door there is a current (raised from the garden) bricked area the width of the building structure - approx 22ft x 6.5ft and a swimming pool which is also raised to the same height as the current bricked area. (its towards the left of the pic)
There then is a 'drop' - which starts off 6" > 2ft > 2ft 5" depth.

From the current bricks i want to go out appox 9ft and 22ft wide (as mentioned above).

Would i need planning permission for this? From what i have read anything above 30cm will require permission (including decking). Question i have is that my current property already has this raised area, is this still required?

Outside rear door:
Bricked area and swimming pool area
Then there is a drop on to the soil/grass area

The neighbors fence panel on the side could be replaced with one which is slightly higher - if the issue of privacy arises.

I have attached pictures to give a better idea of whats going on (swimming pool is on left of pic at the same height as current area).

As you can see there is a slope left > right.

Is height is measured from the highest point of the natural ground level where it meets the decking? If so would i be ok taking into account the left side is 150mm?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back