Definition of "Work has not commenced"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On the building notification acceptance letter I have from my local building control, the last paragraph states :

If the work covered by this acceptance letter is not commenced within three years of the date of this letter, then the application will no longer be on deposit.

What is the accepted definition of work having commenced ? Does it have to have been inspected at least once ? I'm struggling to see how my LBC will know work has started, unless they have been to see it.

Am i missing something or just overcomplicating something really simple (It's a knack i've developped somewhere along the way.....)

Sponsored Links
What type of work is it?
Normally if building work footings being poured and in place would be sufficient to comply with commencement.

I'm installing thermal & acoustic insulation to the internal walls, floor & ceiling of my flat.

Sponsored Links
Were you planning to wait three years before starting work?

Were you planning to wait three years before starting work?

Slightly more embarassing than that - submitted notification, then through illness & lethargy took no action until this summer. I am now rapidly approaching the three year limit of 30th November but am not quite ready to get the LBO out to inspect.

Why don't you just ask them?

Will do just that tomorrow. Just thought I'd ask here in the first instance in case I was being obtuse.

Stick a bit of insulation to the wall and call them out. BCOs are always up for a cup of tea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back