What is the definition of 'Started' ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a planning approval that states 'work must start' within three years of the approval.....nothing unusual about that.
Question is what is defined as the development having been started. Is it for instance first shovel in the ground or maybe site clearance or a start on the footings.
I have not been able to find a definition so is it purely an arbitrary decision made by the planning or building control officer?
Reason for question is we have just concluded the purchase of some land and the 'commencement date' is 29th of this month and am wondering what needs to be done without asking the local planners directly.[/b]

Sponsored Links
I believe it is generally considered as pouring footings. Up to that point (site clearance, digging holes, etc) you aren't actually building anything. That said I've never seen anything written down. If it was contentious with neighbours who might kick up a fuss then it's probably worth doing something rather than risk it.

Works begin when you; carry out any work of construction of a building, carry out any works of demolition of a building, dig any trench to contain a foundation or part of a building, lay any underground main or pipe, lay out or construct a road or part of a road or when you change any use of land that constitutes development. So, work definitely starts when you dig a trench. The rules have also been refined over the years by case law. For example, setting out a building has been deemed to be start on site by a court. But I wouldn't take the risk on that. Just dig a trench.

As above, but don't forget to notify Building Control and pay their fee.

Sponsored Links
All your comments are helpful, thanks, and give some comfort. It is apparent that there is no clear definition of what 'start' means so I guess, like a lot of these planning issues, it is down to who you are dealing with.
I think I could argue that a substantial amount os site clearance covers an acceptable 'start'

I think I could argue that a substantial amount os site clearance covers an acceptable 'start'
Very possibly, but get it in writing. Also be aware that all conditions of an approval must be discharged for a start to be valid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back