Defra (Deathra?) continues the slaughter!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Read here for the latest Defra announcement of this continuing botched policy. Read here for the up to date information on the sorry results of the continuing mis-management of foot and mouth and bluetongue diseases.

Sponsored Links
The 'meat machine' is the fundamental problem, try stuffing humans into accommodation as cramped and insanitary as that of the meat/dairy herds, and you'll get some interesting plagues. (Think they found out about that in the middle ages, with the Black Death, did they not?)

A spot of humour on the subject:

http://www.themeatrix.com

try stuffing humans into accommodation as cramped and insanitary as that of the meat/dairy herds,

A wise and informed opinion. Ever been on a farm?

That "Meatrix" stuff is from the US. Most dairy farms I go on produce milk with little sign of a cow (well no cow muck anyway, the parlours are spotless).

Any of the beef farms I go on and the stock is out in fields, not in sheds. The few animals that are in sheds are well spaced and the stalls are clean.

I don't know what the US equivalent of a "Red Tractor" is, but farm assured meat is the way to go...

Read here for the latest Defra announcement of this continuing botched policy. Read here for the up to date information on the sorry results of the continuing mis-management of foot and mouth and bluetongue diseases.

Defra are in deep sh*t. The fact that they have been fined for breaches of biosecurity at the labs that are being blamed for the source of the current FMD cases means that if it all goes like last time, someone is going to be hitting them with a bill.

Sponsored Links
Ever been on a farm?

Just a few.

Milking parlours are spotless, true, but that's just our faddishness with clean surfaces. Doesn't mean the animals are healthy.

Worst was a "free range" chicken operation. The birds spent their entire lives in the near-dark, up to their ankles in their own poo. I had to do some work on the phone system. This was next to the sheds, and the weather was hot. I had to vacate the place as I was being overcome by ammonia fumes. :mrgreen:

Likewise in this place you had to dress-up like a surgeon if you wanted to go into the meat-processing section. But what is the point if theanimals are living in these conditions?

The 'meat machine' is the fundamental problem,

The fundamental problem is the slaughter policy. It would be possible to vaccinate against FMD, but Derfa has withdrawn the licence from Merial who are developing the vaccine. Clever move.

Boxbasher said:
Defra are in deep sh*t. The fact that they have been fined for breaches of biosecurity at the labs that are being blamed for the source of the current FMD cases means that if it all goes like last time, someone is going to be hitting them with a bill.

Another bill? What will they have left to screw up? The current disaster is the result of a bill to the government in the form of a fine of a £fewhundredmillion from the EU. This came about when Defra failed to distribute the payments to farmers in a reasonable time. The delectable Margaret Beckett was in charge at the time. When the fine was imposed, Gordon Brown (the guy who is high in the popularity polls at the moment) told Defra to find the money from their budgets because they were not getting any from elsewhere. So they cut costs. Part of which would have paid for the long outstanding maintenance work needed at Pirbright. So when you vote for GB, remember the slaughtering and the incinerating that is partly HIS responsibility. Also to be remembered are drippy questions from the likes of Nadine Dorries MP (Mid-beds) who has written to Hiliary Benn asking for assurances that everything possible is being done to halt the spread of bluetongue disease.

It seems there is between 30% and 70% mortality rate with this disease, so that means a 70% to 30% survival rate. The animals which survive would possibly have developed some immunity, but Derfa is ensuring there can be no immunity by slaughtering every animal which tests positive. They can't stop the gnats by putting up "keep out" notices, so the assurances are worthless.

There will, (would have been) a vaccine available by the spring, but they've seen to that by stopping the work going on at Pirbright.

Loads more on the warmwell site, for any MP who's interested.

Anteaus said:
try stuffing humans into accommodation as cramped and insanitary as that of the meat/dairy herds, and you'll get some interesting plagues. (Think they found out about that in the middle ages, with the Black Death, did they not?)

You're right, they did not. It didn't matter whether or not people were crowded together. They still caught it and died. They were certainly a lot less crowded than nowadays.

Worst was a "free range" chicken operation. The birds spent their entire lives in the near-dark, up to their ankles in their own poo.
Then they aren't free range chickens...

So when you vote for GB...
Won't be doing that. I didn't vote the last d*ckhead in either.

One of today's snippets.

warmwell.com said:
Sunday September 30 2007 ~ NINE contiguous farms culled - an unholy, miserable, and unnecessary mess

According to Jonathan Long, FW Livestock Editor on the FW forum
"I'm told that nine contiguous farms were culled today, as sign of the seriousness of the situation evolving in the PZ as the disease continues to spring up.
Meanwhile, I believe a meeting is underway this evening to establish the protocol for a welfare cull scheme for south east England.....pitiful payments will do little to help the confidence of an industry rapidly descending into crisis." Or rather, descending into total chaotic misery because our animal disease policy has been allowed to stay in the wrong hands and is stuck in the 17th century The "seriousness of the situation" is not this finding of cases. It is the panicky killing spree and the unholy, miserable mess that DEFRA made when it fudged vaccination. Not one single lesson learned since 2001 - and the sufferers are, as usual, the patient and the innocent.

I would have to agree in any case that Defra's handling of the last FMD crisis was appalling. For example, the damage to the Scottish tourist industry was huge, despite there being no cases here, not to mention the problems it created for people without cars, what will almost all footpaths being closed. If they'd had to compensate all the businesses which suffered loss, the Treasury would likely have been bankrupted.

Sponsored Links
Back