Defrost freezer with paint stripper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is this a bad idea, to use a 2000w heat gun?

I'll need to get it defrosted and back in service ASAP.

Sponsored Links
yes a bad idea it will melt the panels and cause damage to pipe work .switch off for 24 hrs

Did our 2 freezers this week, took 40mins to do, took both outside and being careful with any electrical switches, lamps etc. use the garden hose to spray water, will defrost in 10/15 mins washed out as well. On mine I have a switch on the bottom right so I tilt the freezer over to the left and slightly forward so the water will run out and away from the switch.
Just be careful of the electrics if you get them wet it will take longer to dry out than it would have taken to defrost conventionally.

Colin

obv. I know there's plastic sides and stuff thats best avoided, I just wondered if it was bad for the coolant and it's metal pipes in the shelves to go from -20 to melted in so many seconds.

Sponsored Links
No problem for refrigerant for the temperature you'll get it, but if you don't distort the sides/top in some way i'll eat my hat!!
Another way if you can't get it outside is with a clean garden sprayer with hot water and plenty of towels, when defrosting frost free I would use this method and a vax to suck up the water, also good for clearing iced up drains on frost free.

Colin

my method

3 duvets one on the floor food in baskets.boxes placed in a stack coverd with the other 2 duvets

basin bowl with 80% water[boiling +20% tap] one top and bottom replaced as they cool to less than hot
start at the top plastic scraper 20-30 mins per large upright

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back