degree

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Perhaps some people here could give me advice, My son is 19. Doing his A levels this year, and guess what, he wants to become an electrician. (Possibly with NIE) I would like him to go to third level and get a degree, but as he has found out, can get an apprenticeship fairly easily.

Has anybody 'been here' before? I am looking at BR and FWL in particular.

Sponsored Links
One piece of advice - DO THE DEGREE,

Almost 40 years ago now, I was in exactly the same situation. Under severe duress, I completed an honours degree in electrical/electronic engineering.
Finished that and qualified (via apprenticeship - completely separate to degree) as an industrial electrician. Thinking what a waste the degree had been. I set up my own business, which did very well and still exists today.

25 years later, at 46 I got fed up of all this and sold the business. I applied for a job as an electrical engineer with the ESB for whom I have worked for the past 12 years. I can honestly saw I love driving to work every day.

I was 46 before I made use of my degree, if it had been left up to me alone when i was admittedly 'young and foolish' I would not be in the position that i am today. 4 years is not a huge amount of time to spend, mapping the rest of your life.

if it helps i served an apprecnticeship too. I did not have any degree, and i think for an electrciain's aprentice it is a waste of time, why, because unless he is intending on getting a pg degree (yes that is pg as in pg the Tea) he is wasting his time. why, when you start an aprenticeship, the money is not very good, and you start by making the tea, i am not joking, being an aprenyice you get to do the great things like making tea, sweeping up, marking cables holding this fetching that.

do not get me wrong i enjoyed doing it, but with a degree, will your son be able to cope with being "servant" (can't think of right word) a degree later on YES, now NO.

In return, you get to go to college, learn at college, go back to site and usually electrican gives you small jobs to do, then checks to see all is well (then you do sweeping up)

its a great job, but is your som also aware that it is hard graft, lifting bundles of conduit, being outside in the snow putting up outside lights. it is good, but it is not a cushy life, although it does have its moments.

this is just my opinion of how i got into the trade

Well the answer is up to your son.

He must decide in what direction he wishes his career to go.

If he wishes to work as an Electrician, then the degree would be of no help, and in fact could be a hindrance in getting a job as he would be more qualifies than those employing him, and middle managers tend to be scared of this, especially those not very good at their job.

If he wants to move into Consultancy then a Degree is a pre-requisite for 99% of employers.

I have a degree, but not in Electrical Engineering, My highest Electrical Qualification at this time is an HNC, this has served me well in recent years, but had no effect for the first 10 years or so of my career.

Forgeting everything else, I would say this, If he has the aptitude to complete a degree in Electrical Engineering..NOT Electrical and Electronic Engineering..then go for it.

I know a number of consultants that earn in excess of £80K a year, that is more than any individual sparky will earn. Not all earn that, but they will still earn in excess of £35K initially and when experienced that will climb commensurately.

However..If he is Not Confident of completing the degree, then go for a lesser qualification, perhaps train as an Electrician.

One way fo doing this over a period of time would be to Join the Military, they give you better training and will continue to train you as long as you have the aptitude to learn..it is also a GREAT asset on a CV later in life.

Sponsored Links
FWL_Engineer said:
If he wishes to work as an Electrician, then the degree would be of no help, and in fact could be a hindrance in getting a job as he would be more qualifies than those employing him, and middle managers tend to be scared of this, especially those not very good at their job.

i once sent an apprentice of my own to a job interview (i mentioned him here before, lets just say we had problems and he was just not cut out for the work) I knew one of the interview panel who i spoke to afterwards.
My apprentice was asked: where do you see yourself in 5 years time?
He looked at the manager and said "sitting in your chair" !

Needless to say he didn't get the job.

breezer said:
... and you start by making the tea, i am not joking, being an aprenyice you get to do the great things like making tea, sweeping up, marking cables holding this fetching that.

do not get me wrong i enjoyed doing it, but with a degree, will your son be able to cope with being "servant" (can't think of right word) ..

I couldn't decide whether to pick at this festering sore or not, but I'm tempted to say don't go for an apprenticeship until the whole wasteful system of using apprentices as menial gofers and personal servants instead of properly training them in the skills they need to acquire is completely overhauled.

And yes, I know that electricians need to be able to clean up after themselves, but using a broom or a hoover is not that hard, and although it has disagreeable economic implications for employers, it MUST be recognised that the time of someone learning a trade is far too valuable to be wasted on sweeping up or making tea.

[With more than a few misgivings, sits back and awaits the howls of outrage from those who served as apprentices and cannot imagine anything better :confused: ]

Ban...howl of outrage!!

hehehe...seriously I agree with you. As an apprentise I did get to do a lot of menial tasks, all part of the job I'm afraid, but the Guys I worked with also thought like you an I, I was there to learn, first and foremost.

I still believe this, we have three aprrentises, and everyone is under no illusions that they ARE NOT labourers, Goffers or anything else other than APPRENTICE ELECTRICIANS.

Although if one doesn't pick his socks up he will be an ex-apprentice!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back