deisel leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its a boxer van and Ive got a problem, its leaking deisel. I lay under the front looking up and can see where its dripping from. looking at it its a circle about the size of 10p piece made of rubber with a white plastic cross in the middle (looks similar to the end of a torpedo). I turned it to the right to try and tighten but still drips i turned it slightly to the left and it stopped but its dripping again today there are 2 black pipes feeding a cast unit with this on it, it lookes like somekind of filter or tube either screwed in and its worn the thread out or its pushed in im only assuming . if you need any more detailes please ask. cheers.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the drain plug on the bottom of the diesel filter. If you uncrew it right out there is probably a little 'o' ring that has perished or mishaped causing it to leak. Quick fix may be some PTFE tape (plumbers tape) round the threads and screw it back in

my mate thought it was that and gave me a new one to fit but it looks nothin like. I think i know what you mean it on the end of the filter with a hole on it for when you loosen. when you look at yours look up centre its just to the right and your looking up at it its next to 3 wheels with a belt on it. two back pipes are feeding it its about an arms length to reach. cheers.

jb, have you removed your undertray to see the leak? And is it at the front of the block. It sounds like the injector unit is leaking at one of the unions. I can't really see under there due to the tray but I'll be servicing a boxer at the weekend (if it's still leaking) and will be able to suss it then.

Sponsored Links
Ive not removed any tray unless it was removed before, the vans just sat there for the mean time :evil: cheers key

just spoke to the father in law about this problem and he reckons it might be the lift pump, can anyone throw any light, keyplayer/neo. :LOL:

Sorry jb, didn't see van at w/e. Should be this w/e. Someone around here should know though!

My digital cameras broke,my phone takes **** pictures, ive taken some on a decent phone but ive not got a lead and i dont know how to post them but seen it explained a thousand times so when i get my camera sorted i could post.but the good news is its in for an MOT tomorrow so i will let you know where the leak was coming from. :LOL:

jb, probably too late now but I think I see what you're describing.Pa in law is prob. correct, it sounds like the fuel priming pump. Can you squeeze it in and out? Ease of fixing depends where it's leaking from, but not a pricey job wherever it is. As you'll have to prime anyway, you may as well replace both pipes and rubber bulb.

keyplayer said:
jb, probably too late now but I think I see what you're describing.Pa in law is prob. correct, it sounds like the fuel priming pump. Can you squeeze it in and out? Ease of fixing depends where it's leaking from, but not a pricey job wherever it is. As you'll have to prime anyway, you may as well replace both pipes and rubber bulb.

Cheers keyplayer it flew through the MOT, i pointed it out and i think your right it is some kind of pump. Its leaking from underneith but its stopped, im convinced with it being that hot something might of expanded, i hope ;) The mechanic told me to go to peageut give them the number on the plates and buy the part and he will fit it. He wouldnt give me a price with the part so this sounds like the better option. That light was flashing again the one i mentioned before i topped the water up but its flashing, could it be a loose connection? if its possible where would i look for this. cheers.

Sponsored Links
Back