Demolish and rebuild garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a single garage at the moment and plan to demolish and double the size enough to get possibly 4 cars in. I have a number of questions.
It currently is 2.4m*6m long and would like it 5.5m*8m long. (48m2) with 2 roller doors at front building out of concrete blocks

A....Will this be a allowed under building regulations as I read it could only be 36m2 if supports are only on 3 side

B.... Would Ibeams be cheaper that solid wooden beams for the roof.

pictures show front and back views of space to build and will have the same style roof.
Thanks

Attachments

• 9AF0ED9B-2F49-455A-AED8-2F4D593535FA.jpeg
    9AF0ED9B-2F49-455A-AED8-2F4D593535FA.jpeg
    332.2 KB · Views: 190
  • 14B61D28-9C88-4986-8C39-0660290E19F4.jpeg
    14B61D28-9C88-4986-8C39-0660290E19F4.jpeg
    441.2 KB · Views: 168
Sponsored Links
You’ll need building regs for sure at that size.

Might be the image, but the current garage looks connected into the house at the rear - if there aren’t any walls/external doors your new garage won’t qualify as an outbuilding.

You’d need get quotes for I beams. Probably not much in it tbh

Yes the garage is L shaped at the end (just over 1.5m wide off shot) but i cut it off and put a door in it for now to create a small utility for extra freezer and storage shelves and is there much difference in permissions between out building and extension connected to house. I know it would need a fire door

An outbuilding wouldn't necessary need planning permission, but it must be separated from the house by proper doors. However, looking at your picture again I assume the boundary of your land is pretty close to your camper van, and the land is dropping away a lot there.

You have a max heigh limit of 2.5m within 2m of the boundary, otherwise you'll need planning anyway. Planning means extra cost for the application, possibly for someone to draw the plans well too.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings

Sponsored Links
I was going to have it 1.3m from the boundary as I thought it had to be more than 1 meter. Wasn’t going to do this for a couple of years but my neighbour is thinking of moving into sheltered accommodation and she knew my plans to extend garage and has no objections and it was her that said I should start the ball moving while she is still there with no objections as the new neighbours might
So I will need planning permission if nearer than 2m ?
Looked on local authority website and it talked about fees but no prices so don’t know ball park figures. Built one in last house 20 years ago but was converting back yard to garage and that was £300 for application as it was more because connected to house

Planning if within 2m of the boundary and will be over 2.5m high.

I guess you’ll want reasonable headroom in the garage and you’ve got a bit of a drop to the side of your current garage - you’ll need to measure up.

yeah, a few hundred quid for planning and drawings, etc

Thanks for that. It was good to chat. Think I will try contact and chat with planning or email them to see if they can give friendly guidance ( more chance of winning lottery )
Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back