Demolishing half a garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need advice on demolishing half a garage correctly.

In laws are building a new house on their land and half of a large old working garage needs to come
down to make space.

They have a builder coming to build a wall halfway up the garage to ensure it's water tight before removing the slates, sarking boards and frame as they have stuff at the bottom end of the garage that needs to be secure and keep the rain out.

I'm currently stripping out the wiring from one half of the garage and have offered to help remove the slate etc from the roof when the time comes.

They've asked me how I'd feel about demolishing half of the garage for them. Which I'm happy to do but just wanted some advice to ensure I take the walls down neatly and safely.

My initial thought was to drop a plumb line and drill a decent amount of holes where the new wall starts on either side then go back up the other end, take a sledge to it and get sweaty.

Any help and tips mucho appreciated

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back