Help req - Demolishing 1 outer wall from double garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I've done a search on this forum and found people who have successfully removed the centre wall from a double garage to fit double doors however I am planning on doing something slightly different.

I share a detached double garage with my neigbour, one half is my property as per the deeds and the other half is his property.

The garage is located in front of our house at a 90 degree angle.

It would benefit us if we could remove our half of the garage so that me and my wife can park alongside each other to avoid problems with us blocking each other in.

The garage roof is a flat felt roof (although the actual felt blew off in last week's gales so is currently non-existant)

Supporting the felt are wooden lintels (These are separate lintels for each half of the garage and only overlap at the point of the central wall which will remain)

I would like to remove all but one of the wooden lintels in our half of the garage and then cut and demolish the majority our outer wall. (You will see in the image that I have left one lintel in place in case this helps to strengthen the garage.

Before I go down the route of contacting the council / builders about building regulations and party wall agreement can any of you give me advice on whether this is possible as per my plans and more importantly what might be needed that I haven't included that would make it possible if it's not possible?

Current layout -
garagecurrent.PNG

Planned layout -
garageplan.PNG

Thanks in advance

Phil
[/img]

Sponsored Links
There is no probelm in you doing this work. It does not require planning or building regulation approval, and neither does the Party Wall Act apply.

The only issue is ensuring the roof is made good at the boundary, but that is not a problem.

BTW, the timber 'lintels' are in fact roof joists. A lintel spans over an opening in a wall.

No need to aquaseal the wall either.

Thanks for your advice woody.

It's much appreciated.

I forgot to mention that I would also fit a fascia board along the remains of the joists to tidy it up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back