dent in copper CH pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

whilst laying some laminate flooring around the two copper pipes leading to the radiator in my hallway, I have just noticed that is a dent in the copper piping leading to the radiator as it emerges from the floor. Now this could have been from the fitter who first fitted out my flat, or could well be from me as I never noticed the dents before.

There's no leakage and the dents are light. I'm wondering should I call someone in to replace the dented copper or can I safely ignore it?

Sponsored Links
heeellllooo limasol and welcome :D :D :D

two choices assuming the dent is within a few mm of the floor and its a smooth dent rather than a crease

option 1 leave well alone as its fine

option 2 its not just a case of cutting the pipe and connecting in a joiner you need to hold the pipe that can quite happily disapear under the floor resulting in lifting your new floor to reconnect ;)

hi there,

thanks for the quick reply! I'd love to say it was a smooth dent but in all honesty, i don't think it is. it looks like its been knocked into by a piece of laminate as either myself or the first person who laid it put the floor down.

Mind you, I've never seen a crease or dent in copper pipe so couldn't tell you with any great accuract whether it is indeed a crease.

think I've answered my own question really :(

if the heating works and the pipes don't leak don't worry
unless you have at least 2" above the floor and around 1" clearence around the pipe to make it an easy job of around £30 to 80 for peace of mind
otherwise your talking over £100 and removal of flooring :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Tell you what, I'll post up a picture of the dent..that might well help..one sec.

herre's a picture:

dent.jpg

thats a deffinate dont worry in my opinion :cool: :cool:

of course wait for other opinions but nowt to worry about in my humble opinion :D

sorry my bed is shouting loudly for me and my eyes are already half way up the stairs :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D ;)

Forget it. If thine eye offends thee, get some Rad-snaps, which are white or chrome plastic clip on tubes which would hide the pipe and the offending dent.

No probs, see pipe like this all the time on existing set ups. Copper is stronger than you imagine.

ok, its just the whole expansion and contract issue that worries me. now that the pipe is no longer circular, and there's a crease in it, won't that be come a weak point when there is pressure and heat in the CH system?

NO! Copper gets stronger when you bend it!
Look, they used to hammer copper pipe flat and run a bit of solder in as a blanking method for steam pipes, OK?!!

ouch, sorry! :oops:

didn't mean to irritate, just a complete newbie and compulsive neurotic about things like this :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back