Dental Treatment.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. One of my front teeth suffered an impact in 1994 and was root canal treated. It is, to all intents and purposes, dead.

Today I heard a crack from the same tooth and now it is wobbling like mad.

I should have it looked at. What would you do?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

Thanks.
get to your dentist pretty darn quick. avoid anything with sugar in it till your appointment.

don`t worry about the sugar - the root will be dead and inert . I had 2 root fills like you- one did what yours has done - £ 50 @ private dentist to do basically nowt . so pulled the top off myself a week later and got the root out for £16 @ a NHS one . Total £66 . plus denture now needs altering :rolleyes:

I've got to go on the 23rd for a final fitting of a small lower denture.It's been 7 weeks now.Now I have the next tooth getting loose,so when I go they will have to pull it and go through the rigmarole again to add another tooth to the denture :confused:

They now inform me that it's ten weeks waiting...Their website says they're taking new patients...why the hell are they allowed to have a ten week waiting list?
They obviously have too many patients and are unable to offer a decent service to existing ones.When they've fitted this denture they're gonna be one less.

Sponsored Links
The point about avoiding sugar is that it promotes decay. If the crack extends above the gum line, you have a route for saliva to get in and start rotting the tooth from below. This will make any repair more difficult and increase the risk of getting gum disease.

Best thing I bought recently was a panasonic oral irrigator ew1211 -ooer. You fill it with water and it squirts a jet of water that you aim at the gumline around your teeth. I was very sceptical of it but having used it for a month its one of those 'why didn't I get one sooner' items.

Apparently gum health is something often overlooked and it reminds me when I forget to floss every day :oops:

And don't bite down on the pillow too hard until it's sorted.

:LOL:

If you're feeling wealthy you can get the cavity in your jawbone filled with a calcium matrix, into which your own bone will grow. Then the dentist will insert a titanium socket and repair your gum. A few weeks later he will insert a ti post into the socket with a lovely new porcelain tooth on it.

Mrs RR had this done, she came home from the first op with her face heavily bruised and for a week people were giving me strange looks. I said "You look as if you've been mugged!" She replied "I have been mugged - by a dentist!" The cost? A snip at £3000!!!!!!

I could have had a new carbon road bike for that!

Nice one folks!

I went to my dentist this AM. He says the tooth is effectively dead and is now reabsorbing, breaking down. The tooth has fractured close to the area of reabsorption, beneath the gum line.

It is literally hanging in there and he has taken some moulds of my teeth. I will return on the 24th to have a temporary denture fitted, after which I can decide which way to go.

Mind you, the temporary denture is over £200...

RR, I too have been told a tooth such as you describe is around £3K.

And Mrs Secure is hankering after a good road bike to to her Tri's with... :cry:

Trouble is I don't fancy a bridge as it affects the teeth either side...

Any advice?

save up a couple of day's earnings and get that nice implant.

Trouble is I don't fancy a bridge as it affects the teeth either side...Any advice?

Got a 4-tooth bridge in 1975 and to be honest I have beeen more than happy with it. However, if it does start to affect the teeth on either side, I will demand a refund of my £76.00 :LOL:

Hi guys. One of my front teeth suffered an impact in 1994 and was root canal treated. It is, to all intents and purposes, dead.

Thanks.

DIY it. Tie a piece of string to it, tie the other end to a door...
:LOL:

DIY it. Tie a piece of string to it, tie the other end to a door...

That's certainly the cheapest option but ineffective in this case as it will only remove half the tooth. :( :( :(

Step one: Get yourself registered with an NHS dentist. I know they're like gold dust these days but they still exist.

Step two: Find out what your options really are. A simple extraction, which might be best in the long run, will set you back £47. Other options include a repair of the broken tooth, a crown built onto the fixed part or, as you've already considered, a denture/bridge. This will cost £204. Not bad really. :) :) :)

Sponsored Links
Back