Depth of Cable chases\backboxes in Chimney bricks and joist support pillar.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks, I'd like to add a backbox for a network cable and coax for a TV attached to the chimney (rear of the chimney in the kitchen, there is no fire place on either side).

The chimney also holds up a steel support for the upstairs joists.

Are there special limits that apply to the depth of chimneys and support columns like this? or is the 1/3 vertical, 1/6 horizontal still applicable?

The chimney is 2 bricks thick, but I'm going to need a 45mm backbox(2 gang) for the coax wall plate is this a problem?

Also, I'll have to drill a route for the the cables through the corner of the buttress to reduce the bend radius, they are only small wires, but even so, is it OK to do this?

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Are there special limits that apply to the depth of chimneys and support columns like this? or is the 1/3 vertical, 1/6 horizontal still applicable?
Yes, those are the Building Regulation limits for chases.

The chimney is 2 bricks thick, but I'm going to need a 45mm backbox(2 gang) for the coax wall plate is this a problem?
No, holes don't count - although you obviously don't want a hole in a chimney.

Also, I'll have to drill a route for the the cables through the corner of the buttress to reduce the bend radius, they are only small wires, but even so, is it OK to do this?
No.

You can fill it with cement.

Last edited:
Thanks EFLImpudence, it is going to look a lot better now than a surface mounted! Now where is (my Dad's) scutch chisel!

Hopefully the coax and cat cable will fit in the smallest of holes through the mortar joint that can be back filled and less risk of splitting the brick, I might have a practice on the brick BBQ in the garden!

Holes don't count. :)

upload_2017-9-7_13-50-30.png

Sponsored Links
Yikes, isn't that against the laws of physics!?! It seems walls are have more redundancy than I imagined!

chasing the cables into the brick should make the wall easier to board and plaster in the future when we get round to doing the whole kitchen, so thanks for your help. Hopefully the old base coat won't all fall off while I'm bashing out the back box hole! The scutch chisel really seems to help with that. I might also drill a load of holes the right depth first.

I'm presuming that if we ever opened up the hearth(in the other room) and had a wood burner installed, that heat wouldn't be a problem on the bricks? I hope not as there is an electric socket on the adjacent side of the chimney.

I might also drill a load of holes the right depth first.
Oh, yes, definitely - with a small bit.

I'm presuming that if we ever opened up the hearth(in the other room) and had a wood burner installed, that heat wouldn't be a problem on the bricks? I hope not as there is an electric socket on the adjacent side of the chimney.
It depends on location, but I wouldnt think so.

It depends on location, but I wouldnt think so.

Good point! If I can put the backbox near the edge (one brick depth) it could avoid the direct heat from any future burner, as the bricks behind will be thicker, being part of the wall of the chimney, rather than facing onto the flue.

Thinking about it, if I put it up high, behind the TV, rather than at knee level, it would be level with the flue, rather than the burner, so much cooler I presume?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back