descaling combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've an Halstead Ace High combi boiler which has been heating the water intermittently. The plumber has replaced a few bits, but has come to the conclusion that the heat exchanger is clogged with limescale. His recommendations are to either replace the exchanger or to have the whole ballylot replaced, which unfortunately we can't afford.

Having looked around this and other helpful sites I've seen that it is possible to 'descale' the exchanger (and not necessarily have to flush the whole CH system out), but can't seem to get a grasp on the detailed 'how to' bit. I believe, from what I read I need to get some solution (from a reputable supplier) and get it into the system, and this is where I'm stuck.

How do I get the solution into the boiler so it can do its funky thing? Do I need some special piece of equipment, or is there some natty little homemade device I can use?

And when in the system do I just turn the heating on and run the water for it to activate (or do I just let it sit in there for a couple of hours)?

And would it be advisable to shut off all my rads while the process is running?

As you can probably tell I'm a complete novice, but a very poor one. Help! ( a step by step would be good, if not too cheeky)

Sponsored Links
You probably have to clean the system anyway, as it is more than likely that the crap in the system ends up in the hex again after you have cleaned it.

but has come to the conclusion that the heat exchanger is clogged with limescale. His recommendations are to either replace the exchanger or to have the whole ballylot replaced, which unfortunately we can't afford.

you found them yet ben ;)

Sponsored Links
Best solution is to move to where the water ain't hard :LOL: !

but has come to the conclusion that the heat exchanger is clogged with limescale. His recommendations are to either replace the exchanger or to have the whole ballylot replaced, which unfortunately we can't afford.

you found them yet ben ;)
Whatcha mean geez? Or should I say dude?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back