Designating posters as Tradesman or DIYer

Status
Not open for further replies.
HETAS advice was "no bird stopper to be fitted in the chimney pot"

Insurance company underwriters "a bird stopper is recommended"

The HETAS cert was issued as "no bird stopper fitted" and then the stopper was fitted. The insurance company approve this.

Reason is that without a bird stopper birds will attempt to build a nest and enough nest material can fall down into the flue and when a fire is lit create a fire in the lining. If that fire occurs close to the top of the liner then embers could fall onto the thatch and ignite it. Enough nest material to be a serious hazard can get into the flue in a few hours when the birds are determined to get a nest built. Hence the without a bird stopper the flue would have to be swept or inspected each time the fire was to be lit.
It seems that you are unhappy about your misinterpretation of the HETAS requirements, we can discuss this in another thread if you give us the details of the installation.
In the meantime, you were going to tell us about horizontal runs, bends and the like... You could also throw in details of how the fire would be extinguished in the event of a fan failure in your "Up and Under" flue... Should I also ask about provisions for sweeping, condensate removal, joint inspection, flue ventilation etc etc..

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Most professionals who post here say what they do in their profile.

Quite a few also include a comment under their name.

Gas work is regulated and needs the assessment. So is most electrical work.

Carpenters and roofers for example don't.

Typical reaction. At least no-one in the house required the service of a funeral director that time.

There have been cases of these flue gas caps coming adrift due to manufacturing faults.

A good while back Biasi U.k had a recall on the flue they supplied with there boilers due to this very manu' fault . The same fault also impacted on Ideal
As they were selling rebadged biasi boilers at that time.

Some of the flue sampling caps are imho not that well thought out / designed . viessmann for example were it is a push fit rubber cap & under certain circumstances (?) could be easily (?) displaced

Qualifications ???

The U.k is one of the biggest markets in the world for self constructed vechles / cars (kit cars) & car modifications.

You can legally self build a 700 bhp kit car in the U.K ( no qualifications) & drive it on the public high way. agreed u need to pass the SVA test , but not in all circumstances

You can restore / modify cars & M/c in the U.K . No qualifications :)

I have built a 5 litre V8 cobra replica , 3 motorcycles from scratch i.e pick & mix parts. no qualifications :)

It seems that you are unhappy about your misinterpretation of the HETAS requirements,

There was no mis-interpretation. The installer spoke to HETAS technical and they told him bird stoppers were not to be fitted. So he didn't. My insurance company wanted one fitted. So I fitted it. Needed to choose the right type of bird stopper to ensure it did not create a hazard to the draught. Other factors but I guess you will know those. The technical people at the insurance underwriters seem to be aware of the factors involved

we can discuss this in another thread if you give us the details of the installation.

No need, it was discussed by all parties involved and a satifactory conclusion arrived at. That included people qualified and experienced to advise on the safety aspects of flues passing through thatched roofs.

You could also throw in details of how the fire would be extinguished in the event of a fan failure in your "Up and Under" flue...
The basic principle is to totally shut off the air supply using two ( or more spring to close dampers ). Another method is dropping the fire into a container and then sealing the top of that container. Either way it involves ncapsulating the fuel in an airtight "capsule". If no oxygen then no further combustion, and if no oxygen then also no more carbon monoxide can be produced. Having a descending flue is a lot of hassle and espense.

In the meantime, you were going to tell us about horizontal runs, bends and the like...
Was I ?, that information would depend on the installation.

Bernard, you shouldn't be removing the flue cap.. That is for qualified persons only.

That is the sample point that the qualified but absent minded boiler service man took off and then forgot to replace.

This was the original post

I had my annual service done on my Worcester combination boiler just before Christmas. There were no problems discovered. However, when I got in this evening the boiler seemed to be making a slightly different noise than usual, so I decided to investigate.

Why not put forward your arguments for, or those presented against, during the previous discussion instead of a torrent of abuse?

:sleep::sleep: every comment you have made on this forum is about racism and abuse , grow the fook up and don't blame being bullied when you were younger on people on this forum . get a life you sad tw@t :oops:;):ROFLMAO:

There was no mis-interpretation. The installer spoke to HETAS technical and they told him bird stoppers were not to be fitted. So he didn't. My insurance company wanted one fitted. So I fitted it. Needed to choose the right type of bird stopper to ensure it did not create a hazard to the draught. Other factors but I guess you will know those. The technical people at the insurance underwriters seem to be aware of the factors involved

No need, it was discussed by all parties involved and a satifactory conclusion arrived at. That included people qualified and experienced to advise on the safety aspects of flues passing through thatched roofs.

The basic principle is to totally shut off the air supply using two ( or more spring to close dampers ). Another method is dropping the fire into a container and then sealing the top of that container. Either way it involves ncapsulating the fuel in an airtight "capsule". If no oxygen then no further combustion, and if no oxygen then also no more carbon monoxide can be produced. Having a descending flue is a lot of hassle and espense.

Was I ?, that information would depend on the installation.
The installation was the one that you erroneously advised upon in the open forum.. You made no mention of specially designed stoves, you suggested that a downward flue was fine with a log burner. An airtight trapdoor in a device that gets very hot is an interesting device, especially when the stove is a few years old, clearly annual servicing is vital... To have the installation that you suggested requires a purpose made stove, tested by the manufacturer who must take full responsibility for their installation and cannot be passed off by HETAS. Similarly if your insurance company require a bird cowl or other device to prevent birds from nesting then they are taking full responsibility for the installation against the recommendation made by HETAS.

Why not put forward your arguments for, or those presented against, during the previous discussion instead of a torrent of abuse?

:sleep::sleep: every comment you have made on this forum is about racism and abuse ,
So was that comment, in addition to why not put forward sound, reasoned arguments.
What do you do? Resort to abuse, yet again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back