Despair?

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I have just received an email containing this from NICEIC.
They didn't used to speak to me until Elecsa sold out.

upload_2017-4-28_15-0-34.png

Is it just a ploy to sell their publication? I hope so.

Are there really "electricians" so unable to think for themselves?

Does NICEIC really need to look up "snag 22 of a guidance document" to answer such a question?
If that was "the best guidance we can find", what were the lesser suggestions?

Is it necessary to employ people to write such documents (and emails)?

What else is in this publication? Do not poke your eye with the wires.

Perhaps I'm just in a bad mood.

Sponsored Links
Golly. I bought that book and its sister publication Snags and Solutions Part 2 - Wiring Systems years ago. They were being promoted at WF as a pair for far less than the cost of one of them. They couldn't sell them back then, obviously!

Never realised they were NIC books, though.

In the case of snag 22, the book referred to 130-02-01 (as it was then) and pointed out that induced voltages could appear in unearthed conductors.

What else is in the publication? I'd need some time, but I can list all the snags if you wish!

Sponsored Links
Oops. I thought it was better than leaving lots of bits on the customer's floor.

Is there a guidance document saying what I should do with it?

You can make your own grommets from the outer sheath of T & E, split down the middle, bent into a circle with the slot on the outside, and the ends superglued together. Much more fun that buying them.

Snag 6??

Labelling of the earthing conductor. The earthing conductor must be easily identifiable.

You can make your own grommets from the outer sheath of T & E, split down the middle, bent into a circle with the slot on the outside, and the ends superglued together. Much more fun that buying them.
Now you're being silly.

You don't need glue. The hole will keep it in place.

Snag 6??

Labelling of the earthing conductor. The earthing conductor must be easily identifiable.
I like Snag 4 - The cross-sectional area of the earthing conductor must meet the relevant requirements.

But to be fair, I've not turned the page to see if there are any better ones beyond #7 - one can have too much excitement in one day

Snag 6??

Snag 6 in the other book informs you that chokes in fluorescent luminaires can operate at high temperatures.

Hard to say which of the two Snag 6s is the most useful one to know.

Snag 12: Instances are observed of 951's not being used as intended, ie attached to SWA etcetera...

As an aside, did you know the countless thousands of clamps we see with the warning tag attached to the strap via the rectangular slot in the tag means they fall foul of the regs, due to the possibility of corrosion due to electrolytic action?

Apparently the slots in the tags are only there to "aid packaging and storage"...

Also, connecting 951's together via their straps is incorrect.

Last edited:
That last doesn't surprise me.

Another way to use the tag is to thread the strap through both slots so that the tag goes over the clamp bolt, requiring the use of tapered pliers to tighten it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back