Detached Garage Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning. I am reading conflicting info and would like to be clear.

Can you convert a detached garage into a bedroom under permitted development or would the garage need to be attached to meet the guidelines?

Sponsored Links
You will need planning permission and building regs approval to convert a detached garage into a bedroom. I don't know your local planning policies or where the garage is on your plot but round my way this would be unlikely to be approved. You can normally convert to a home office, gym, garden room etc without approval.

If you had PD rights you could convert it. It won't matter to planners what you call it, it's what you do with it that matters, and a bedroom for ancillary use, not renting would be permitted.

Building regulation approval will be required

It needs to be for a purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the house. It is debatable what this includes but most of the councils I work with specifically state that sleeping accommodation in outbuildings is not PD. I haven't tried an appeal but Im sure there is one out there somewhere.

I don't think you should build this without speaking to your planning office or getting a lawful development certificate.

Sponsored Links
incidental to the enjoyment of the house
Yeah, sleeping is incidental to living!

If the OP wanted to he could use his front room as a bedroom and it's not a planning issue (note: there is no actual conversion involved). In the same way, he can convert his garage into his new "front room", and then use it as a bedroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back