detached garage, stud wall. please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to convert a garage and insulate the walls but the walls are concrete sheeting (about 1inch thick)
whats the best fixing to use through the stud into the wall, can i use a powerful adhesive? Or do i use some form of self-tightening device that has to go through stud and wall to the exterior? - i'm worried this is gonna be expensive.

Sponsored Links
Hi

Do a web search and check out the specification for the various insulation materials that are available e.g. celotex / kingspan and you should find a material that can be stuck on with an adhesive, or some people use your day to day crazy foam to do the job! Saves the hassle of mechanical fixings.

One word of advice - you should keep an air gap of at least 25mm ideally nearer 50mm between the garage wall and the insulation - this could be achieved by sticking packing pieces on the walls at regular intervals and then sticking the insulation to the packing pieces.

Regards

Sponsored Links
Are you talking about converting a concrete sectional garage?

If so you are best constructing a cell within a cell.

This will involve constructing stud walls within the garage securing the sole plate to the floor. The walls can be fixed together at abutments and strapped laterally across the top with ceiling joists, thus alleviating the need to fix to the garage walls.

Fill the void between the stud and the concrete garage with insulation.

It will be a silk purse out of a sows ear but usable. ;)

There is no cheap way of ensuring the space is comfortable and usable i'm afraid. Otherwise build a shed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back