Detail where wall tiles meet bamboo floor in bathroom?

ldt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have decided on having a bamboo floor in our family bathroom. One wall and the bath boxing will be tiled with large format porcelain tiles. I'm planning laying the floor first and then tiling down to cover the expansion gaps. Having just watched my 20 month old pour a bottle of water out of the bath I'm thinking I'm going to need a sealing detail where the bath panel tiles meet the floor to stop water running under the gap.

Simple answer would be a run of silicone but im concerned that it may restrict expansion. Alternative might be add a neoprene upstand to the floor that will be hidden by the tiles. Or perhaps gluing a strip of DPM to the floor and running up behind the tiles to give a flexible upstand.

I can't be the first to have thought about this so does anybody have any suggestions regarding the best detail for this material junction. Floor and tiles have already been purchased and some of the floor already laid (glued down rather than floating) so those fundamentals will be staying...

Sponsored Links
Silicone it in both cases - the the bath panel silicone if removing the panel.
Almost any other arrangement will give you trouble.

It perhaps wasn't clear in my original post but the bath will be boxed in, aquapanelled and tiled down to the bamboo floor. There is no removable bath panel as such (I have access to the waste and overflow from behind because it is in the eves of a loft conversion).

Sponsored Links
JohnD,

sorry about that. I meant to say: "Cut the silicone"

ldt,

Silicone all joins between floor and wall or upstands such as bath panels.

• Thanks
Reactions: ldt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back