Determining pipes in council flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mate has recently bought a flat in an old council block in East London. He wants me to give him a hand installing a new bathroom suite. There are currently some 22mm copper pipes (surface mounted and painted) that supply water to the bathroom. In addition to this there is a larger pipe around 40mm or more also painted. It is difficult to determine the source/purpose of this pipe. I don't think it is lead as it doesn't have that sound when tapped. Any idea what it is likely to be used for?

Any help appreciated. Apologies if I am unable to acknowledge any responses immediately. Thanks. :)

Sponsored Links
things to keep in mind in flats is services for the other flats may pass through his flat

Could be a gas pipe.
Are the pipes accessed thru a service duct which is removable?
Try tracing it back but leave well alone if you are unsure.
Only touch pipework that you know their exact function :eek:

Sponsored Links
An iron riser for water or gas? Try heating it(hair dryer). If it gets hot then gas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back