Redundant Pipework?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently refurbishing a small downstairs toilet which was created in a former coal store (now accessed via utility room built onto side of house). Having removed existing rear partition wall (made of hardboard and contiplas!!!!) I have found an 18" deep void containing a small chimney breast (used by former coke (?) boiler in adjoining kitchen).

Immediately behind the rather Heath Robinson studding of the former wall, is a wooden trunking containing two parallel 22mm pipes which come out of the chimney breast and disappear up through the ceiling underneath the upstairs bathroom. I would like to remove these if possible in order to construct a more substantial stud wall.

The question is:

Without lifting the bathroom floor (difficult) is there any way of determining whether the pipes could still be connected to the hot water system? They sound rather tinny when tapped so I suspect they are empty of water. My only concern is that they are gas pipes, though I suppose the fact that there are two in parallel counts against this. Does anyone know whether there would ever be any reason to use such an arrangement for gas? The present combi boiler is located in a cupboard just above but slightly offset from this void and is DEFINITELY fed from a completely separate gas line (which I have traced right back to the meter).

In addition, the pipes do not seem to warm up when central heating is on (or when hot water is drawn).

Any advice in pipe tracing techniques would be most welcome. I must add that I have absolutely no intention of interfering with these pipes until I am certain that they contain neither water nor gas!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Not sure what they are connected to at either end.

Pipes just disappear into brickwork of chimney breast. Last year when refurbishing kitchen, I found the trace of an old flue and hearth which from talking to neighbours was probably a coke boiler, although the top of this chimney has a metal "coolie hat" type cowl on it rather than the H-shaped stove pipe that most of the other houses in the row have. House was built in 1960.

They are almost certainly empty!

But they might just be full!

I would drill a small 2 mm hole and have a self tapping screw ready just in case!

To be even more careful I would depressurise the heating circuit as well !

Tony

Sponsored Links
get yourself a box of matches

a box cutter (stanley knife)

a panel pin

a hammer

turn water / gas off

remove head from match and sharpen (keep close by)

place panel pin on pipe and apply hammer to said pin

if anything issues forth plug with match

if not turn services back on

check again

bobs yer aunties husband ;)

b*GG*R agile beat me to it :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Cheers everybody.

I've just eased up the corner of the floorboards above the pipes in question and found two severed ends.

Can crack on wi' t' job now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back