Gas supply to new hob

a4c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

The current project in my ongoing renovation is to replace the kitchen floors. I'm putting hot water underfloor heating in with tiles over the top.

When funds allow, I want to put a gas rangecooker in to replace the current electric cooker. Since there's no gas supply to the current cooker, I was thinking of running some pipe over to the cooker while I had the floorboards up and leaving it capped at both ends till I need it.

My questions are:

- What sort of pipe should I use (small diameter & flexible would be ideal)?
- Can I run the gas pipe anywhere near the underfloor heating or is there a minimum distance required?

Also, the cooker sits in a disused chimney breast through which I was planning to drill a hole to run the gas pipe.
- Does the pipe have to come into the breast at a certain height/place/angle?
- Is it OK that the pipe runs above ground for a small (~100mm) distance just before entering the chimney breast?

I hope this makes sense...

Thanks v much

Sponsored Links
My advice would be to contact a local Gas safe engineer and expalin what you plan to do.
If they agree they could lay the pipe and cap it properly, until you are ready to connmect to an appliance.

My advice would be to contact a local Gas safe engineer and expalin what you plan to do.
If they agree they could lay the pipe and cap it properly, until you are ready to connmect to an appliance.

Thanks for the very quick reply. Yes, that would be ideal however I only ever get the chance to do work in the late evenings and am not around during the days so will probably struggle to find an engineer who can just pop in when I want them!

Answers to my questions would really be appreciated so I can do a bit of planning....

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
you have had far better/safer advice than you would get if we answered your questions, cause if you need to ask you dont know

Gee what a really helpful post kirkgas, but please don't waste your valuable time again.

I simply want to know what type of pipe to lay, and when the time comes, I will use a properly qualified engineer to hook things up.

Useful answers appreciated, unhelpful not.

All of the gas work including running pipework needs to be done by or under the supervision of a gas safe registered installer. If an installer turns up and is asked to connect to either end of a pipe he won't know what fittings have been used along it's length or if it's been properly sleeved where it passes through any walls.

• Thanks
Reactions: a4c
All of the gas work including running pipework needs to be done by or under the supervision of a gas safe registered installer. If an installer turns up and is asked to connect to either end of a pipe he won't know what fittings have been used along it's length or if it's been properly sleeved where it passes through any walls.

A proper answer thankyou.

Obviously its up the individual installer at the time, but if I take pictures of the pipe I've put in (and its done correctly) do you think they're likely to be OK with using it (I'm pretty sure I can use one piece of pipe without any joins as its only a shortish distance and almost dead straight)

Thanks

I would try and contact an installer first and discuss it with them. If it's only one piece of pipe it wouldn't be a great problem for someone to nip in on his way home to have a quick look knowing that they will get a job out of it in the future.

If I can find someone who can pop in at 2am which is most likely when I'll be doing the floor I'll be lucky ;)

And when is the guy going to connect the hob? 4am on a Saturday?

Are you going to expect to pay normal rates for these midnight operations?

And when is the guy going to connect the hob? 4am on a Saturday?

Are you going to expect to pay normal rates for these midnight operations?

Thanks for such a helpful post Dan, you're really adding value on the forum.

As per my original post I'm putting THE PIPE in now; the rangecooker and connection will be when funds allow. I don't know what year this will be let alone what time.

As per my original post I'm putting THE PIPE in now; the rangecooker and connection will be when funds allow. I don't know what year this will be let alone what time.
Simple answer is that you can't, if the pipe is intended for gas use it must be fitted by a competent fitter, no ifs, buts or you can't make time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back