Determining the size of already installed cable

Reaction score
Dystopia, a small island too close to Europe
Country
United Kingdom
My son has just got his first flat and already has issues with a shower. Existing is 8.5kw and I'm wondering if the cable already there would be big enough for 9.5kw, cable is approximately 25mm across, and also, would the installed RCD (B50) be ok, or would an MCB be better? Can you mix and match RCD's and MCB's?
1697463113149.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is the existing shower circuit protected by the 50 amp MCB in your pic ? If so ,a 9.5kw shower can be connected. The circuit should also be protected by an RCD ,but there isn't one in your pic. Show full pic of consumer unit and any other electrical installations around / near it.

The circuit should also be protected by an RCD ,but there isn't one in your pic. Show full pic of consumer unit and any other electrical installations around / near it.
What's that on the far right, with a trip rating of 0.03A?
Please can we have an in focus photo showing the whole of the CU so that all devices are fully visible?

The performance difference between 8.5kw and 9.5kw isn't really enough to justify replacement. Either will deliver a deeply average shower experience in winter (though if cold water supply is tanked either will be ok. Not good but ok).

Sponsored Links
I use a yellow crimp, if it's a tight fit 6 mm, loose 4 mm, and will not go on 10 mm.

The overload should be matched to cable, so with a 50 amp should be 10 mm. But one can't trust those before followed the rules.

Shower with correct head is fine, but if wrong shower head it can be very weak.

I'll try and get a better picture
The performance difference between 8.5kw and 9.5kw isn't really enough to justify replacement. Either will deliver a deeply average shower experience in winter (though if cold water supply is tanked either will be ok. Not good but ok).
The reason for upgrade is a) his existing is faulty, and b) the one he likes is cheaper in 9.5kw than 8.5

Is the existing shower circuit protected by the 50 amp MCB in your pic ? If so ,a 9.5kw shower can be connected. The circuit should also be protected by an RCD ,but there isn't one in your pic. Show full pic of consumer unit and any other electrical installations around / near it.
The shower is on the 50 amp mcb, can I just replace it with the correct size rcd? also, any idea of the cable size, 6mm or 10mm?

I'll try and get a better picture

The reason for upgrade is a) his existing is faulty, and b) the one he likes is cheaper in 9.5kw than 8.5
Both fair enough reasons to go for the 9.5 then. I was assuming existing worked...

The shower is on the 50 amp mcb, can I just replace it with the correct size rcd? also, any idea of the cable size, 6mm or 10mm
There appears to already be an RCD in your CU - the module on the far right of the photo. Iooks to me as if it has an IΔn value of 0.03a marked on it - that makes it a 30mA RCD.
That's why we need a better photo - we need to be sure what is in the CU, and if that module is an RCD, to help you confirm whether it protects the shower circuit (very likely)
If that is the case then you just need an MCB appropriately rated for the cable size and cable installation method.. If not, then it's not an RCD you need for the shower, it's an RCBO (combined MCB and RCD)

Is there a cable size on that clip?
Some do have them, but others don't. If it is on there, and the cable fits very snugly without being squashed, then it's probably that size.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back