Identify shower cable

If someone can let me know regarding my supply for the property, is it 100a?
Ask your supplier.
No way that anyone here can possibly know what it is.

If the cooker is on that separate 63a unit what does that mean for the main unit?
Someone(s) have added and altered things over the years.
That is a dual rate meter for E7 or similar, the right fusebox for the night rate may or may not be in use. If it is - why as there is gas. If not - it should be disconnected and removed.
If it's still on E7, you are paying far too much for the day electricity.
Half of the main consumer unit is labelled 'spare'. Single RCD for everything doesn't comply.

Whole lot is a mess, and is overdue for an inspection anyway (label states 2005).

Sponsored Links
Yes, it's a dual rate meter, both rates are in use. Switching electric supply is on my to do list, I'm just monitoring day/night use, night use seems minimal so will look at switching to a single rate that's cheaper than the current day rate (about 15p/kWh).

Based on what you can see, what do I need to get done? Rough guide to cost, inc. parts & labour?

- New consumer unit
- New cable for a 10.8kw shower
-?

Thanks again, appreciate all the help.

Does your liability insurance have anything to say about that?

I'm diy, not trade, if I light myself up I only have myself to blame, which is why I only do very basic stuff myself, and only then after research & advice.

Sponsored Links
Humm I guess it could be 4mm.
I hadn’t considered anyone would be stupid enough to install 4mm for a shower

It certainly can’t be described as big!
During a spell with the Electricity Board 4mm was the standard size for shower circuits under 17m, so there will be plenty about still

I'm diy, not trade, if I light myself up I only have myself to blame, which is why I only do very basic stuff myself, and only then after research & advice.
I meant the insurance you have to cover your liabilities to people who rent this 10 person holiday let property....

I meant the insurance you have to cover your liabilities to people who rent this 10 person holiday let property....

Oh I see what you mean. Before it goes on the market I'll be getting a sparky in for a full inspection to sign everything off. Plus it will be lived in for about 6 months before it gets let, so time to test everything further.

I too can confirm the Southern Electrical Board would use 4mm2 cable for showers in the early 1980s.

I too can confirm the Southern Electrical Board would use 4mm2 cable for showers in the early 1980s.
What power were the showers back then? 4mm² (on a 32A circuit) is still OK for a "7.5kW" (at 240V) shower even today - but it would be daft not to build in 'future proofing' (or install a bigger shower, on an appropriate circuit)!

Kind Regards, John

Oh I see what you mean. Before it goes on the market I'll be getting a sparky in for a full inspection to sign everything off. Plus it will be lived in for about 6 months before it gets let, so time to test everything further.

On Saturday you posted that you are getting a spark to do any work and today you are getting a spark to inspect and sign off. Which is it?

Low end showers 4kW / 4.5kW, top of the range 7kW.

Any appliance above 7kW would be a significant problem as most fuseboxes of that era could only support fuses up to 30A maximum.

40A were available but usually needed a specific type of fusebox, and even with that the 40A fuse had to go in one specific place only, normally next to the main switch or in some cases in a separate holder on the other side of the switch with it's own individual cover.

On Saturday you posted that you are getting a sparkling to do any work and today you are getting a spark to inspect and sign off. Which is it?

I meant I'll be getting an electrician to do the consumer unit and run a 10mm cable up to where the shower is going, plus anything else I can't/shouldn't do. Basic stuff I'll do myself but get my own work checked & signed off, like the extractor I fitted the other week etc.

As this is a commercial venture, you really need to let him do the full job and that's from design to testing and commissioning. I'd be surprised if any spark would touch the job you describe and doubt you will get insurance based on a DIY installation.

As this is a commercial venture, you really need to let him do the full job and that's from design to testing and commissioning. I'd be surprised if any spark would touch the job you describe and doubt you will get insurance based on a DIY installation.

Why would they not do a simple consumer unit upgrade?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back