Shower cables(routing of)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does any one else think there should be a law as what should be done with shower cables when there is a loft conversion being done? I ask because i have just been asked to replace a shower(9kw) with a 9.5kw,cable is 6.mm and there is no way on earth a new cable can be run without ripping up all the flooring upstairs.I know what some will say but i have advised to go for a 8.5kw.

Sponsored Links
Simply give the client a choice !

Option A- full recable x cost
Option B- use existing

With B give a disclaimer, mention the fact that it's not future proof and let them make the decision.

If a loft conv is £30k, then £1k for a few days aggro lifting floors and routing cable against a few £100's for the easy way out should be considered in the overall context of the final finish.

Same with the new floor in situ, and then clients wanting rads or sockets added or moved- it's their fault and the decision as to how to resolve it should be weighed up.

Customer accepts that he doesn't want upset and time,he will take easy option and have 8.5kw.

From the maintenance point of view, loft conversions, laminate flooring and tiled floors are pretty much like asking someone to weld your car bonnet shut - it may make things look neat and tidy, but the next time you need to top up the windscreen washer bottle, you're *%&*£$%ed.

Sponsored Links
tie the new cablle to the old in the bathroom, grab hold of the end at the fuseboard and pull for all you're worth...
should work if you pull hard enough :) ;)

seriously though, when doing a loft conversion, all cables should be re-routed into the area of the loft that you can't / won't be using ( ie the area where the roof is about 3 foot off the floor and below since this gets "boxed in" so to speak..)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back