titan electric shower cable problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am refurbing a bathroom, and have moved the shower. it is on a 6 mm cable at the mo back to a 32a breaker. the shower is range rated 8.5 to 9.5kw. ive been told this will need changing to a ten mm cable and 45a breaker is this correct. the cable run is approx 15mm running through loft and down solid wall in sleaving. cheers

Sponsored Links
the rules have changed making leccy showers more expensive to install but saves your house burning down I suppose.

the rules have changed making leccy showers more expensive to install but saves your house burning down I suppose.
What the hell kind of advice is this?

What rules have changed?

How does it make it any more expensive?

How is your house any less likely to burn down with these "new rules"?

How does this help the OP?

@ wrightster, you need a 40 amp protective device instead of 32 amp. This should be done by an electrician, you MAY be able to keep the existing cable. At 45 amp, you would definitely need a bigger cable. An electrician will advise you, it depends on whether the cable runs through insulation, and its exact distance.

You say you moved the shower, did you extend the cable? You really shouldnt, it creates a weak point in the cable, and its running close to its limit. If you need to extend the cable, it'll be best to replace the whole run with 10mm² anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back