Dettached garage conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a detached garage/workshop (built for a motorcycle judging by the width of door) which measures around 9ft x 16ft internally, its built from large hollow concrete blocks (roughly 400x200x200mm each in size), rendered on the outside, flat roof, has a large single glazed window, an 800mm wide wooden side door, lighting and mains power. The concrete base/foundations come a good 300mm above ground level. Roof construction is wooden beams running width ways, roughly 70/80mm wide, at least 120mm deep and spaced at around 300-400mm. covered in felt. There is guttering around the building leading to a soak-way and I’ve never seen any standing water on the roof so maybe there is a slight slope.

I’m interested in what would be involved in converting it into a living space most likely a play room for the kids. Planning permission is something I’ll obviously have to look in to (a phone call to local council I guess)

I’m not a builder so not exactly sure of what I would need to do. From some internet searching I’m wondering if something like this would be sufficient:
Damp proof membrane laid on concrete floor (is this essential given the floor height above ground level?) timber frame on top to create a slightly raised wooden floor with wooden sheeting on top, timber frames screwed to all 4 walls spaces filled with insulation covered with plasterboard, insulation between roof rafters, covered with plasterboard. If this sounds ok, what timber section sizes should I be using?

I’d rather do this myself (partly to save money, partly as I’d enjoy doing it) but I don’t want to have to brick up the large ‘front’ door but don’t care how it looks from the outside, is there a way I can block this up internally so it can be plasterboarded over without having to lay bricks? ie: I don’t want the door visible on the inside but don’t mind if it’s still visible on the outside.

One of my unknowns is ventilation, I assume I just need to ventilate the room to the outside world? what’s the best way to do this? and If I need any heating I was thinking of just using an electric heater.

Is there anything that I’m missing?

Sponsored Links
Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean? are you suggesting not speaking to them at all or speak to them after the work is done or speak to them once I know exactly what I plan to do?

First of all, I would check up by other means on whether or not it needs specific planning permission, though you will probably get conflicting views on here as to whether it does or doesn't.

Yours is classed as a 'curtilage building' and the use of the building has to be 'incidental to the enjoyment of the dwelling'. This is where you may come unstuck, as opinions vary on what is 'incidental'.

You would be allowed a use such as garage, keeping pets, storing sports equipment etc, but would not be alllowed any use which could normally be accomodated within the dwelling, such as lounge/tv room etc.

I suspect you would fall into this category. Why not just convert it as you want (you won't need Building Control), and not let on to planning. If you did ask Planning, by default they would probably advise that it needed an application, whether or not it did.
It's then that you can run into all sorts of problems.

Hence my previous post.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I'll do some more internet searching before making any phone calls then.

Do you (or anyone else) have any thoughts on whether my actual conversions plans are reasonable?

I want to be able to price up what I'd need to do before taking it any further.

By the sound of things, it's dry, secure and has power and lighting, all you need do is pretty it up and make it warm, what you've already proposed is fine. Might want to get an electrician in to check it's all up to scratch, and to add a couple of wall panel heaters. Now go and read up on building stud walls.

Any thoughts on how I can seal up the door without bricking it up, it’s sub-flush of the wall so if I can just seal it up I can fix a stud wall over the top of it (I don’t care what is visible on the outside). My first thought is to screw the door shut (to the door frame) and use an external silastic around the edges to seal it up, this just feels a bit dodgy to me though.

any gardeno officen room not used for habitation does`nt require planning permission .but obviously if it`sgoing to be used asa a play room for children . all the electrics will have to be checked everything hasto be kidproof (indestructable) and if you do have planning or building reg problems these can be dealt with(planning retrospective, building regs , regularistion cert)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back