DeWalt cordless combi's- chuck spindle linear travel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, two questions:
I recently got a 2nd hand DeWalt 14.4v cordless combi (DC984K) to supplement my 14.4v drill driver, which I have been very happy with. In hammer mode, the chuck spindle has some spring-loaded linear travel, as you would expect with any drill in hammer mode. However, this linear travel is also present in normal drill & drive mode, which surprises me. Is this normal for this drill?
Secondly, there is a retaining screw inside the chuck, holding it to the output spindle. To remove the chuck, does this unscrew clockwise or anticlockwise and similarly, does the chuck unscrew clockwise or anticlockwise off the shaft?
Thanks
Rob

Sponsored Links
sasolshares said:
Hi folks, two questions:
I recently got a 2nd hand DeWalt 14.4v cordless combi (DC984K) to supplement my 14.4v drill driver, which I have been very happy with. In hammer mode, the chuck spindle has some spring-loaded linear travel, as you would expect with any drill in hammer mode. However, this linear travel is also present in normal drill & drive mode, which surprises me. Is this normal for this drill?
Secondly, there is a retaining screw inside the chuck, holding it to the output spindle. To remove the chuck, does this unscrew clockwise or anticlockwise and similarly, does the chuck unscrew clockwise or anticlockwise off the shaft?
Thanks
Rob

probably normal for the travel

as for chuck, the retaining screw turns anti-clockwise. chuck will turn clockwise to remove(looking from front)

It's a result of wear and tear on the drill..before posting this I checked my old DeWalt 14.4V and 18V drills, both exhibit this motion..personally hadn't noticed it so it makes no difference to the effectivness of the units.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back