Dewalt DCS570 Vs DCS391 cordless circular saw for DIY use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm already bought into the Dewalt XR system and I am pretty sold on cordless for ease of use, so that seems my choice for a circular saw
The 570 is clearly the better saw - brushless, more powerful, deeper cut, more bells and whistles. But current best prices I can see are £184 Vs £120.

I will be using it for pretty light home & DIY use, but I do expect it to last a long while. Would anyone care to recommend if the 50% increase is worth it if you were in my shoes? Am I going to not notice the difference for a few cuts here and there, or in a year am I going to kick myself I didn't spend an extra £60?

Sponsored Links
i purchased the none brushless
DCS391 version for a little over £100 from screwfix , and use a freud 40t blade
https://www.screwfix.com/p/freud-tct-circular-saw-blade-165-x-20mm-40t/5505j
, and occasional DIY and its been really great, and with a guide cuts really well, using the freud blade, although I also have a few 24t dewalt blades
the 570 is brushless and has a further 9mm depth
If i had my time again, i would probably go brushless, I had thought XR - eXtra Runtime was brushless, but very soon after purchasing the jigsaw and circular saw discovered i was wrong.
The version I purchased https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-d...re/23296#product_additional_details_container
has been excellent - cut 18mm marine ply sheets
95x45 Posts
and a lot of other items
All as an occasional DIYer
I see screwfix are £110 & £150, so only £40 difference

I have used the saw with 2Ah , 3.5Ah & 5Ah battery - all worked fine

I have recently found Saxton really good for multi-tool blades and a recent mitre saw youtube review should them better than the Freud, so i may invest in saxton saw soon.

I find the LEDs on dewalts other tools , really useful, not sure what the 570 led would be like

the 570 also mentions a dust blower, not sure mine has one, but the jigsaw I have does and you can turn on/off - BUT i find the blower useless on the jigsaw.However, I have nearly always set up and used a guide for cutting sheet material , get a really good straight cut against the guide

Last edited:
Ah, I had seen that price listed on SF but it was showing out of stock. So many different variants of the same tool. That's a great price.
The 570 is listed at £150 but seems unavailable anywhere round here, if at all, which pushes the 391 closer to half the best price.

Yeah you're right, XR range includes a lower tier that are often brushed. I've seen a lot of people cut out especially buying kits, where you might get a mix.
Now possibly a stupid question but the bare (N/-XJ) versions don't come with a blade right? Obviously no batteries or chargers or cases :)

At £150 I'd certainly go for the 570 though I imagine the slightly bigger blades cost slightly more. Looks like a blade is going to be in the £15-25 range - this is a new tool to me, do blades last a good while?

i got a blade with the bare unit at screwfix , and a special deal on 3x 24T, if purchased at same time.
Not yet had an issue with blades, but as mentioned just a DIYer, so not used every day by anymeans
I use a large stanley Box to keep the Circular Saw/Jigsaw/Planer/Grinder/right angle drill/spare blades for C-Saw, Jigsaw blades, the 5Ah batt.
The other tools all came with t-stak cases , I find that combination works OK for me.
I may get a t-stack for the grinder , as all the discs etc i have in a separate plastic container.

Sponsored Links
Both are available at Screwfix they may let you compare them in store.

Last edited:
Both are available at Screwfix they my let you compare them in store.
Have you checked your local store? It' on the website but when I click through it's store-only, and none of my local stores have either model :( They are a LOT cheaper than anywhere else I can find online.

i cant find the 570 in stock or available for delivery , tried a few areas local to me, and family postcodes I know
I see there is a 560 at the £109.99 price and in stock locally as is the 391
The 560 does not have the LED or i think the blow option, but is the same depth , not brushless
Still on the dewalt site, so not a special for screwfix Only

Would anyone care to recommend if the 50% increase is worth it if you were in my shoes? Am I going to not notice the difference for a few cuts here and there, or in a year am I going to kick myself I didn't spend an extra £60?
It all depends on the use you are putting the saw to. I'll start of by saying that I'm trade, i currently use Makita and that I transitioned from brushed to brushless 5 or so years back. I also have a number of colleagues who are on DW, mostly brushless but a couple with brushed saws, so my comments are general rather than specific.

Basically, IMHO if you are cutting up 12mm plywood, 18mm MDF and small section softwood or making multiple cuts to get the required depth of cut is acceptable, then brushed is perfectly adequate, especially if you stick to 24 tooth (or less) blades. If on the other hand you are going to regularly cut joinery section timber (say 3 × 2 or larger), 18mm hardwood plywood, hardwoods, etc or you want to use 40 tooth or even finer tooth blades, then you'll probably get very frustrated at how gutless the brushed saws are, and at how often you need to change batteries. It's that simple

For blades, I've tried Saxton, Trend, deWalt, Makita (including the excellent, if pricey, Eficut blades), Freud and various low cost brands and TBH the most durable and toughest blades have got to be those yellow DW blades that Screwfix do. Good on price, too

As an aside it has to be said that cordless saws do require thin kerf blades (1.4 to 1.7mm) to get any sort of run time worth having. However, these blades are all but impossible to resharpen, I'm told, and they don't take too well to hitting nails, screws or grit inclusions on the timber (although the yellow DW blades do ressonably well andfar better than, say, Makita"s offerings), they often cost more than comparable quality full kerf blades and they don't last as long, either. This can make running a cordless rip saw a tad pricey agsinst using a corded saw

PS the LED is nice to have in low light situations (e.g. working in an attic), but it should not be a deal killer in most cases

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back