Advice on circular saw for a gift

Hello,

I have a bit of a strange request
No it isn't.

>>Snip<< there something else you would recommend?
May I suggest your sister (and you) have a look at this series. You can do so much with a tracksaw and making up a few additions. Far more than can be easily done with a circular saw.

Also, is there anything else she would need to get started such as safety equipment/accessories?

Thank you in advance

Oh so many.

Most important is some form of Dust control - simplest is a highly effective Dust mask - e.g. a Trend 'Stealt' mask through to a self-starting dust extractor e.g. this or similar or top price.

As others have said if she doesn't have a cordless Drill/Driver then one of those is a good buy - buy a package to include batteries and chargers. Remember buying into a battery system is keeping you into one tool range - it's not bad just can be a little restricting.
But for many people corded tools, apart from Drill & 'driver, are probably more cost effective.

Sponsored Links
Hello,

I have a bit of a strange request
No it isn't, sensible really.

>>Snip<< there something else you would recommend?
May I suggest your sister (and you) have a look at this series. You can do so much with a tracksaw and making up a few additions. Far more than can be easily done with a circular saw.

Also, is there anything else she would need to get started such as safety equipment/accessories?

Thank you in advance

Oh so many.

Most important is some form of Dust control - simplest is a highly effective Dust mask - e.g. a Trend 'Stealt' mask through to a self-starting dust extractor e.g. this or similar or top price.

As others have said if she doesn't have a cordless Drill/Driver then one of those is a good buy - buy a package to include batteries and chargers. Remember buying into a battery system is keeping you into one tool range - it's not bad just can be a little restricting.
But for many people corded tools, apart from Drill & 'driver, are probably more cost effective.

Thanks all for the useful replies, its been really helpful. I am going to pass on the advice to my sister and let her decide what she wants to do.

I am going to pass on the advice to my sister and let her decide what she wants to do.
Probably the smartest move, even if it takes the surprise off, it will be better in the long run and actually may help her get into a longer term cordless brand. I know I prefered to know and have a say in some of the tools people wanted to buy me as presents.
I have been watching this guy over the weekend, in fact got really caught up in it and spent a lot of the weekend watching as i had pulled a leg muscle and so couldn't do much.
Peter Millard
https://www.youtube.com/c/PeterMillard/videos
Brilliant series, saw the advice about tracksaw linked here on DIYNOT , cant find again, would love to thank the poster
Had i seen the tracksaw series before before I purchased a Circular Saw, I may have invested in a tracksaw instead, BUT they seem to have now gone up significantly recently.

I was looking at a table saw , just before xmas and had the dewalt 250mm blade still been available I would have purchased that. And on my post a tracksaw was suggested instead of a table saw.

Please post back and let us know what she decides in the end to get and if she has the time maybe look at a few of Peter's videos
Wish her are happy birthday from us as well.

Sponsored Links
As any site carpenter will tell you - it isn't difficult to get a straight cut out of a ripbsaw (watch some Robin Clevett and you'll see why), whereas a track saw is really a one trick pony - no use for ripping most solid wood, making cuts in already installed stuff, doing small section material crosscuts (as in framing), cutting joints (tenons, rebates, housings, etc), etc - only any good for sheet materials. Woodworking is about more than that. I've been using track saws 21 or 22 years now, but my 165mm cordless (conventional) rip saw is still the gold standard go-to saw as far as I'm concerned. And it didn't cost an arm and a leg

Last edited by a moderator:
Please post back and let us know what she decides in the end to get and if she has the time maybe look at a few of Peter's videos
Wish her are happy birthday from us as well.

Thanks, I will do :)

I think she'll love this.

SmartSelect_20210316-230411_Twitter.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back