Should I replace my makita grinder with this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I now own a range of makita cordless tools and wondering whether I should replace my corded grinder with one of these:
https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita...MI5Lyf54Sw7QIVj7LVCh0UQQy2EAQYGyABEgIKYfD_BwE

I currently have one of these:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-g...VEe3tCh2qcwOZEAQYBiABEgIBpvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Recent uses include:
- cutting a iron pipe
- cutting a window handle latch
- cutting a metal spike appearing through the concrete

Would I miss anything by replacing the corded version with the cordless?

I look forward to your advice.

Sponsored Links
What Batteries do you have?
I use the Dewalt cordless and have cut quite a few items, and used to sharpen blades and grind concrete, also about 12 10mm coach bolts , my 5Ahr and 3Ahr dont last long from fully charged

They're different tools for different jobs, so no, don't replace the corded with cordless.

Cordless is handy for small jobs and/or where you're far from a plug socket (and can't be bothered getting the generator out!)

I don't know about "replace" - compliment maybe?

There are times when corded is good, times when cordless is good.

Sponsored Links
Agreed, a cordless grinder will compliment a corded grinder. Cordless can be very handy for pinging off the odd sticky-out nail, or raking out a small piece of mortar joint or cutting off half a dozen M12 resin anchor bolts when you are at the top of a scaffolding tower, etc, but batteries don't last long and you will be better off if you have 5Ah or 6Ah batteries. I have the model you are considering and I wouldn't be without it for odds and sods tasks

I have several Makita batteries. Including a 4ah and 5ah.
The parallel that comes to mind is that a few years ago I purchased a cordless makita multi tool. I use this regularly and not once have I felt the need to go back to my corded multi tool. This reminds me that I should really sell the corded multi tool.

I am wondering if I will feel the same way after purchasing the cordless grinder or does it have clear shortcomings compared to the corded version?

The main drawback is the battery life, I'd say. With a cordless the battery life precludes continous usage.

Last edited by a moderator:
it is battery life , my cordless dewalt multitool , i have used a lot recently and can use it on/off all day on a 2Ahr/3Ahr battery
But as i say the grinder is OK for short use , But I would purchase again as its so convenient, and as you already have the batteries I'm sure you would use.
as mentioned I removed 5 rotten posts each with 2 10mm coach-bolts very rusty , so i used the grinder to cut through with fully charged 5Ahr battery and it stopped on the 10th bolt. But very convenient as along the back of a garden joining a neighbours.
Also I channeled out 2 pipe runs from the floor to sink for both taps and along the floor for about 1m , and the battery was almost flat before the end of the job.
again though very convenient, as no power near by and I could keep the door closed to keep the dust in the room.
At that price I would buy to have the tool

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back