DFE fire to ILFE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Ive got a DFE fire. Opening is 760mm wide, 1000mm tall (from the hearth to the underside of the mantle), 300mm deep. Theres no ventilaltion and Im pretty sure most of the required measurements the standards need are out but i know manufaturers instructions take presidence (which I dont have). The chimney doesnt appear to be lined with anything. The mantle comes out the wall 360mm deep by 1150mm wide.

I was wondering how you would go about converting it to ILFE. Id like to keep the existing mantle but it seems as though its going to make the fireplace too deep for an ILFE fire box to just slot in. Will i need to brick up part of the builders opening so the firebox fits in snuggly? Is that the right practice or is there another proper way of doing it?

If i need to brick it up, is there special materials to use and am i gonna be left with a big mantle, then a set of bricks, then the firpiece?

Thanks alot for your help.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back